PDA

View Full Version : Software Problem error

jmarchese
2006-09-22, 05:44 PM
We recently got a file from a consultant (done in Revit 9), but whenever we try to open it, I get an error message that simply says "Software Problem". We too are using Revit 9. Has anyone else run into this? We also tried opening it in 9.1. Thanks for the help!

Jim

david.fannon
2006-09-22, 06:05 PM
Mysterious software problems are often associated with memory issues or virtual memory issues. Also, if this file is enormous or contains a large number of links, that could use up the memory.

I have a document I picked up somewhere (possibly here?) that was originally by Autodesk and describes this all in detail, but the moral of the story was:

1) You need more RAM, However much you have, you need more
2) You need the 3GB switch
3) You may be running out swap file (virtual memory) space.

The reason this applies is that every time Revit opens or even links a file it has to load it into memory (more or less). You can check this in your Log files, or with Windows Task Manager. Also, exiting Revit and staring a new session cleans the Virtual Memory Slate, so that can help.

jmarchese
2006-09-22, 06:37 PM
wow, I definitely was not expecting that answer. I'll share it with the hardware guy here. Thanks for the reply!!