PDA

View Full Version : adding characters

shaunamorain
2006-09-22, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know how I can add characters from the windows character map to Revit?

I'm trying to add ° Ø ± ½ & •
Thanks!!!
Shauna

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-22, 11:40 PM
cant answer your question exaclty but i know that lots of fonts have symbols in them that you can access by using the alt and numeric values. i also know that lots of other people have created drafting symbols for characters that are not available.

Justin

shaunamorain
2006-09-22, 11:45 PM
by drafting symbols do you mean you draw them in a drafting view?

Graham Briggs
2006-09-22, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know how I can add characters from the windows character map to Revit?

I'm trying to add ° Ø ± ½ & •
Thanks!!!
Shauna
Hi Shauna,

For ° hold down the ALT key and type 0176
For Ø hold down the ALT key and type 0216
For ± hold down the ALT key and type 0177
For ¼ hold down the ALT key and type 0188
For ½ hold down the ALT key and type 0189
For ¾ hold down the ALT key and type 0190
For • hold down the ALT key and type 0149

These ALT codes (and many more) will work on many/most True Type fonts, but not all.
There are also Unicode characters, but they work on fewer fonts.

You can copy all of these from the Window Character Map (select your font, find the character you want, click Select, click Copy) and paste them into most Revit text fields.

Good luck,
Graham

shaunamorain
2006-09-22, 11:57 PM
That's exactly what I needed! However, can you explain where the revit text fields are??? :)

Thank You!

Graham Briggs
2006-09-23, 12:25 AM
That's exactly what I needed! However, can you explain where the revit text fields are??? :)

Thank You!
On the DRAFTING tab of the Design Bar or on the File bar (at the top of the screen), select Text, choose an existing style (or type ) from the drop-down list at the top of the Design Bar, choose a justification (horizontal Toolbar), leader or not, and click in the drawing window, then type something. When you're finished, click outside the text box. All of the choices you just made can be changed, after the fact, by clicking on the text, it will turn blue, and the bounding box will appear in red, then click inside again to edit, or change the text type or justification, etc.

Graham

Melarch
2006-09-24, 06:15 PM
Another way to add the extended symbols of a font set are to go to the Windows Start button in the lower left corner of the desktop, select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. This opens the Character Map window. In the Character Map window go to the font you are using for the text (ie. Arial) . The character Map window will display all of the alpha-numeric characters and any extended symbols & characters defined for this font set. Select the symbol or character you want, then pick the select button and then the copy button to place it on the clipboard. Return to Revit and pick in the text window on the view to edit the text line and either go to the Edit menu select Paste from Clipboard or press the CTRL+V key to paste the symbol or character into your text line.

Charles Francis
2006-11-22, 04:35 PM
We are for some reason not able to use unicode. It worked for us earlier but now when pressing alt plus the numbers, nc symbol appears. In MS Word, the symbol appears after pressing the spacebar following the numbers, but in our copies of Revit nothing appears [this occurs in using either the number pad to the side or the numbers across the top of the keyboard]. Any suggestions?? Is it a release 9.1 issue?