PDA

View Full Version : Swept Arch Trim - Best Practice

BillyGrey
2006-09-25, 09:47 PM
When creating an in-place wall plant-on family (solid sweep, pick path, draw profile), Revit handles 1/2 round arches fine. Ironically, I cannot make it create a thumbnail/lazy arch using this method. I get an unexplained "cannot create sweep" error message when finishing.

I am wondering how the rest of the Revit universe is handling this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

patricks
2006-09-25, 10:48 PM
Have you tried drawing the path in place in the same places as the window edges instead of picking?

sbrown
2006-09-26, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't do this as an in place family. You should have no problem making this with a path as long as its all in the same plane. Just make a generic model family draw the path you want put in a radius parameter on the sketch and asign the profile you want. Or better yet build it into the window family if you have lots of them.

BillyGrey
2006-09-26, 05:01 PM
Hi Patricks,

I've tried this method six ways from Sunday Patricks, none seem to make a difference.

Hey Scott,

I'll give your method a go (generic family) and report back;

Thanks!

Graham Briggs
2006-09-26, 05:10 PM
Hey Bill,

How is your profile sitting in relation to the path?

If the profile will pass through an inside corner of the path, the inner edge will have to subtract from the sweep even as the outer edge is adding. Revit will not allow this. Adjust you path and/or profile location, such that the sweep is only "adding".

On your half-round arch, this problem does not occur because the path's arc is tangential to the vertical legs.

Hope this helps,
Graham