PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling clearance color fills - up for the challenge?

jspartz
2006-09-26, 04:29 PM
I was thinking a color fill plan for ceiling clearances would really help for coordination with MEPs. So, I'd like to be able to calculate the height between the ceiling and the top of the room. Is there any way I could make a parameter for the room object that will calculate the top of the room minus the ceiling height, to get the clearance height? And then I could use that clearance height parameter to create a color fill.

Or is getting a room to pull info from a ceiling only something that can be done through the API?

dhurtubise
2006-09-26, 05:18 PM
You won't be able to get the ceiling height for a specific room unfortunately. But you can fill in manually the ceiling height and use that in a calculated value to get your desired result.

david.fannon
2006-09-26, 06:10 PM
Is there any way I could make a parameter for the room object that will calculate the top of the room minus the ceiling height, to get the clearance height? And then I could use that clearance height parameter to create a color fill.

Also, be aware that you cannot use calculated values in color fills, just parameters. So even once you get your calculation running, you will still have to manually transcribe the data from a calculated value column to a parameter column. There have been several posts about this, including the excellent suggestion to have a total value at the bottom so it is easier to see if the columns are out of whack (not guaranteed, but easier.) This is a pretty annoying problem that crops up in all manner of situations.

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-26, 06:43 PM
well... you "can" get the ceiling height in a room schedule (provided it's consistent across the room) - take the volume of the room and divide it by it's area to get its height - with a couple of if/then statements and two versions of this calculation (one real, one integer) you can determine whether or not the ceiling height is consistent and have Revit report a nonsensical value (like 0'-0")... unfortunately I haven't figured out how to have a textual response (like "Varies") - I'll trim down my template and post an example (edit: posted)

How would you calculate the room height though? Once you put in a ceiling (provided it's room bounding) you've just set the height of the room... what am I missing here?

dhurtubise
2006-09-26, 06:54 PM
Maybe with the use of a key schedule that would show ceiling type and associated height (manual). You would be able to calculate the room height - that value in a SP. Then you can use that SP for Color Fill.
Does it make sense ?

jspartz
2006-09-26, 09:13 PM
Greg,

I was thinking the same thing. Take the room volume divide it by the room area and you got the ceiling height. Then take the room height minus the ceiling height and have that value in a parameter.

But, is there anyway to actually grab the room volume and room height parameter info with another parameter?

Dan, that does make sense, but I'd like to skip the manual stuff.

Dave, if I could do the calculation with a schedule and then add a parameter to the rooms (which I don't know if it is possible), then both columns would be right next to each other in the schedule, then transferring the calculation to the room parameter wouldn't be so difficult.

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-26, 09:21 PM
Then take the room height minus the ceiling height and have that value in a parameter.Once you place a ceiling that is room bounding (which would be needed for the automatic calculation I was talking about) you are also setting the room height at the same time... I don't think you can keep the information separate unless you choose to have the ceilings non-room bounding and enter the information manually... then you might be able to do what you're talking about.

jspartz
2006-09-26, 09:37 PM
The room height would come from the unbounded height under the dimension parameters. Where the ceiling height would have to be calculated from the volume and area dimension parameters. So, I would not use the ceiling object itself.

jspartz
2006-09-26, 10:27 PM
Here is what I came up with. If you look at the room schedule it calculates everything, the only thing is that I have to manually transfer the info from the calculated field Ceiling Clearance to the parameter Clearance Check.

If I could do a formula in the parameter it would work automatically. Can I do that in a room object, or can you only do formulas in non-system families?

david.fannon
2006-09-27, 01:40 PM
I have to manually transfer the info from the calculated field Ceiling Clearance to the parameter Clearance Check.

If I could do a formula in the parameter it would work automatically. Can I do that in a room object, or can you only do formulas in non-system families?

Exactly. Rooms will not allow you to have the parameter do a formula. As you note several posts prior, you can line them up next to each other and the transfer isn't so bad, (unless you have several hundred rooms) but it is still annoying and un-Revit like.

jspartz
2006-09-27, 03:11 PM
That's what I did in the file that I posted. But, at least it gets to the point of having the space calculated automatically. Even glancing down the list for anything under a specific height would be beneficial. Then the person can choose whether to take it to that extra step.