PDA

View Full Version : The best way to draw a continuous line

sfraney
2006-09-27, 03:51 PM
Anyone know the easiest way to draw a continuous line that changes X Y Z coordinates? I need to draw a pipe that twists and turns through a factory and need to contstantly change the elevation of it, I also need to be able to quickly calculate the length of the line. Anyone know how to do this quickly?

sbrown
2006-09-27, 04:35 PM
I can't say I know a quick way. The way you do it is to draw the lines that are flat first at the levels they are on, the create ref planes that you can use as workplane that connect the endpoints then draw in those workplanes in 3d, section or elevation views. As for the length I'm not sure.

sfraney
2006-09-27, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the response but there must be a way to draw these lines quickly in 3D, sort of like a plumber's riser diagram but in true 3D. I can quickly start a sweep object by picking a plane to start the path, BUT, the problem is that once the plane is set, Revit doesn't allow another plane to be picked so I can draw another line 90 degrees to the original plane. The path line will only stay in that one plane, this is frustrating. This task should be able to be completed in a single 3D view rather than having to use oblique views.

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-27, 06:08 PM
that is the limitation to the current tools available in revit building. all objects seem to need a plane to rest on. revit systems might be able to handle this, but i dont know.

I guess you might be able to make some mass, by using voids, and come up with the correct shape. i dont know that this is the easiest, but it might work.

Justin

david.kingham
2006-09-27, 06:33 PM
You can do this in Revit Systems very easily but not in Building....

You can have a sweep follow the edges of a mass but you would really struggle to accomplish this.

sfraney
2006-09-27, 07:00 PM
Yes, I can see how difficult to is to create such a simple object. I'm surprised Revit Building didn't account for this. 3DsMAX has a smart cursor that lets you change planes on the fly. Revit Building needs something like this.

Joef
2006-09-27, 07:44 PM
There are getting to be lots of features that are being implemented in Structure and Systems that were originally in the Revit wishlist (before we knew there was a Revit Structure and a Revit Systems). Revit Building is going to end up as Revit LT if this keeps up.

James.Lupton
2006-09-27, 11:06 PM
Yet again we see the disadvantage of separate Revit solutions. Why can't we have Revit as it was originally intended with all features available in a single solution.

We will then all benefit.

We are currently cross grading some of our RB licenses to RS which we have to pay a cross grade charge for. Perhaps this is the reason for separate Revit solutions however, under a subscription model it shouldn't matter whether I am paying for RB RStr, RSys or just plain old Revit.

I would be willing to pay a higher subscription for Revit All-in than each individual solution.

If we all promoted paying 10% more subs for Revit All-in would it not make a better business case to Autodesk than separate systems?

Any views?

ford347
2006-09-28, 12:02 AM
I want it all too....but as to the last comment, how are you paying for 'cross grading' between solutions? I would like to know if there is an option availiable to have them all through some kind of package but not have to buy each one for thousands of dollars....just isn't practical for us small folks!!

jwilhelm
2006-09-28, 12:32 AM
Well this is just the american way isn't it, Autodesk is interested in "their" bottom line, not yours, thats life in the big city I guess, it sucks but I guesss we have to get over it, or go with archicad (yuk!)

jamie.casile80054
2006-09-28, 12:45 AM
hi,

hope i'm understanding you correctly. if you are refering to a sweep path, it is possible to have a 3d sweep path. it just has to be defined before you start the sweep. you can use ref lines instead of planes. they can lock end to end. then you can give them angle dims, etc. once these ref lines are all in place, start the sweep and use pick path.
good luck,
hope this helps you,
aloha,
jamie

sfraney
2006-09-28, 02:09 AM
Here's what I'm trying to do. See the attached image.

This line should be able to be created in a few seconds, I've wasted alot of time trying to create it. First, the line goes straight up, stops, then turns and goes left, stops, then right, stops, then goes straight up again.

To my amazement, I can't create this line as one object. This function needs to be added to Building asap. I'm not buying systems just so I can create lines that can follow multiple planes.

brett05
2006-09-28, 04:59 AM
Like this.

You've just got to define where you are drawing with some reference planes. Otherwise how does Revit know at what point in space you are tying to draw.

Cheers, Brett

Wes Macaulay
2006-09-28, 05:22 AM
I really think that Revit needs to break away from constraints a lot more. They can be convenient at times, but most of the time they bite you. The new beam system tool -- try and change the angle of the joist system afterwards: it's painful. And if you want to model out of plane, you have to create ref planes as you go, and that can be very incovenient, and the process is not obvious unless you're an expert Revit user. Oh for x,y,z direct coordinate entry, huh? The new 3D snapping ability of beams is a step in the right direction, but we really need more direct editing of objects in the Z axis. I want to be able to grab an end handle of a beam, and move it up 8.25mm. I don't care what plane it was drawn on. I don't care about the reference plane thingy that was created when the beam was drawn; just let me edit the beam.

This is a huge obstacle for new users, and tends to bar their success with the software.

twiceroadsfool
2006-09-28, 01:03 PM
I agree about the smart cursor like in max. I dont work in Max much, but when i do i love that i can grab something in 3D, and highlight exactly which plane i want to move in.

I hate to mention the bad A work (autoC..), but the one thing i wouldve liked brought over was the coordinates. Not the entire UCS ordeal, but the ability to specify XYZ coordinates for some objects, walls included. It has a use, even if theres a reason for not having it...

Arnel Aguel
2006-09-28, 02:05 PM
Here's what I'm trying to do. See the attached image.

This line should be able to be created in a few seconds, I've wasted alot of time trying to create it. First, the line goes straight up, stops, then turns and goes left, stops, then right, stops, then goes straight up again.

To my amazement, I can't create this line as one object. This function needs to be added to Building asap. I'm not buying systems just so I can create lines that can follow multiple planes.

Hi Sfraney, I was once before in your shoes having problem how to draw plumbing riser. I also thought that it was not possible to do it in Revit but I was wrong. That can easily be done, all you have to do is go to a 3d view switch on work plane visibility as a guide then draw your plumbing riser using model line it will snap to all angles in x, y and z direction.

Oppppppppssssssssss.... my bad I thought i was able to pulled it off in version 8 ( I'm sure I was able to do it then) but not anymore in version 9 ehhhh...

Sfraney, the workplane visibility icon is the second icon on the top left of the toolbars.

Sorry, gotta play with it one more time again.

sfraney
2006-09-28, 02:29 PM
Arnel,

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it, where is the visibility setting in a 3D view can where I turn on the workplanes. It doesn't seem to be a visibility option. I agree, this would be extremely helpful I just can't seem to get them to show. Can you walk me through a basic setup?

sfraney
2006-09-28, 02:40 PM
Ok, I was able to display the work plane , I see it sitting horizontally on my "level 1" floor, BUT, I can't seem to rotate the work plane on the Z axis so the plane is vertical, how can this be done. I missing this crucial step but can't figure out what it is.

AP23
2006-09-28, 02:50 PM
Someone once mentioned the best way to benefit from structure and systems is to have Revit Basics, and buy Structure, Systems, Landscape and Design add-ons. This would be really cool.

sfraney
2006-09-28, 03:16 PM
Ok, I figured it out. Suppose your drawing a sweep object. After clicking the "create" button, go to 3D view, go to tools and make sure your work plane is displayed, then do the following in your 3d view

start by creating the "path" for the sweep, BUT, use the "reference line" tool to create the path. make your first reference in in the x or y axis, THEN, click "tools", "work plane" and select "pick a plane" in the dialog box, now click on your first reference line you just drawn and hit "tab", the reference plane will tab through the x,y,z planes, when the plane of the reference line is in the up and down or "z" axis, draw another reference line at the endpoint of the first reference line. Use this technique over and over in the 3D view. You'll be able to make endless twist and turns. I think with a little practice it can be done completely in a 3D view.

Thanks again everyone, hope this helps people who have been struggling like me.

CHECK MY NEXT POST, I MADE AN IMPORTANT AMMENDMENT

sfraney
2006-09-28, 03:39 PM
Small ammendment to my last post, start drawing the reference lines AFTER you select the "create" BUT BEFORE you select "sweep", after the refence lines are in place for your sweep path, THEN, select "solid form"---> "sweep", then "pick" the refence lines as your path, then draw your desired profile, that's it.