PDA

View Full Version : How to cut structural members with ref planes

radu.grosu
2006-09-28, 08:37 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk on this forum about this and I read as much of it as I could find, I even downloaded a .rvt file with some cut members and stared at it for hours and I still cannot figure out how to do it. What tool is it? Where is it? I'm sorry if I'm being too stupid, but I really need this and I can't find it.

ejburrell67787
2006-09-28, 10:54 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk on this forum about this and I read as much of it as I could find, I even downloaded a .rvt file with some cut members and stared at it for hours and I still cannot figure out how to do it. What tool is it? Where is it? I'm sorry if I'm being too stupid, but I really need this and I can't find it.I think the way is to place a void object in the structural member family and lock the void to a reference plane (or reference line if you want it to be able to change angle). When you join the void to the structural member (solid) it will cut the end in the shape of the void - for example to produce a chamfered end on a UB.

HTH.

Paul Andersen
2006-09-28, 11:26 AM
Not sure about RB 9.1 but previous versions of RB have not had the same functionality as Revit Structure regarding this feature. In Revit Structure you simply place a reference plane that intersects the member you wish to cut and use the cut geometry tool (first selecting the member and then the reference plane). This works for the steel, precast and wood families (not concrete).

radu.grosu
2006-09-28, 01:21 PM
I think the file I was talking about was done in RS. The curios part is that I could open it in RB and see the cuts done by reference planes. This is very strange because it means that RB has this ability also, just that the tool to create it is not available. It looks like a bad intention to me..
I'll try with voids..thanks for the answers guys.

Arnel Aguel
2006-09-28, 01:39 PM
For structural columns you can cut it by a ref. plane using the attach command similar to wall either top or bottom attachment.

Scott D Davis
2006-09-28, 04:00 PM
Revit Building does NOT have the ability to cut a structural member by a ref plane like Structures does. If it was done in structures, it will show in Building, but you cannot execute the same command in Building.