PDA

View Full Version : Progress/Status Bar...you know you're in trouble when...

DanielleAnderson
2006-09-28, 09:07 PM
Okay - so as I am typing this, I am having a slight internal panic, because as occasionally happens, I got myself modelling on a role and did a lot of work without saving. Then, in the middle of a sketch mode, my model seems to have locked up and I may have to ctrl+alt+del it here. Which means I just lost a good bit of work. Now, forgetting the idea of best-practices "you should save every 15 minutes" because, well, frankly, I didn't.
What I want to know is this:
When do you know Revit is ACTUALLY not responding, and when it is just crunching slowly? There doesn't seem to be enough dialogue with the program to tell us when it is just thinking hard. Half the time it says "not responding" when it is just in the middle of something.
Am I the only one who thinks maybe we need a little more information with respect to program status/progress?

sleimgruber06
2006-09-28, 09:16 PM
I can relate! I normally can tell that Revit is just taking its sweet time when my clock in the lower right corner is displaying the correct time. If its 3-5 min. behind, that when I realize that something is wrong...

aaronrumple
2006-09-28, 09:19 PM
Check the taskmanager. If the processor is pegged at 100% - Revit is just busy. I've had group updates which required up to 30 minutes to process all the changes.

christo4robin
2006-09-28, 09:21 PM
Danielle,

I'd bail out and then use the journal file to redo the work already done. If you end up in the same crash, then open the journal file in a notepad and delete the last few commands you ran that seemingly caused the problem, then re-run the journal file. If you don't know how to run the journal file, then just do a search in the forums - I know it has been covered in several posts.

Max Lloyd
2006-09-28, 09:21 PM
~running for cover~ sheesh. Typical woman....always wants more communication.....;)

(just kidding Danielle...)

sleimgruber06
2006-09-28, 09:42 PM
~running for cover~ sheesh. Typical woman....always wants more communication.....;)

(just kidding Danielle...) :screwy:

A little harsh...
But true all the same! :D

As to 4christo4's comment I wouldn't bail out, but thats because I go by a rule of thumb...
"Before you go bold, Save!" Just before you try anything drastic or anything you know will clog your bandwidth, just save to your local file first. IN THAT CASE, if you feel Revit might have crashed or is unrespondent, you can just reopen your local to right before your last command.

Hope this helps,

DanielleAnderson
2006-09-28, 09:55 PM

(just kidding Danielle...)

Hey now, hey now! ;)

DanielleAnderson
2006-09-28, 09:59 PM
:screwy:

A little harsh...
But true all the same! :D

As to 4christo4's comment I wouldn't bail out, but thats because I go by a rule of thumb...
"Before you go bold, Save!" Just before you try anything drastic or anything you know will clog your bandwidth, just save to your local file first. IN THAT CASE, if you feel Revit might have crashed or is unrespondent, you can just reopen your local to right before your last command.

Hope this helps,

I"m going to try the journal thing. This is not a workset-ed project, just a one-man operation (sort of my "model I work on when I have no other projects to work on" thing) - unfortunately it is (and i know this sounds horribly backwards, but not my call) a model that is strictly there to create pretty pictures while the working docs are done in good ole' acad. But - the BP deadline is tomorrow, and the building permit cover couldn't live without a fancy 3d image on it - right? ;)
My processor is only using 51%, so I'm thinking that the program is truly hung. My little cpu usage history graph is looking like a very dramatic mountain range.

Thanks!
Danielle

EDIT: ADD - OH MY! Just as I finished this post, after like 1.5 hours, magically, Revit un-hung itself. I am a lucky, lucky girl. Might even be giddy. :Puffy:

sleimgruber06
2006-09-28, 10:04 PM
... are done in good ole' acad. ...

That's the problem right there! You're using AutoCa... :banghead: I mean AutoBad! :mrgreen: :lol:

DanielleAnderson
2006-09-28, 10:29 PM
That's the problem right there! You're using AutoCa... :banghead: I mean AutoBad! :mrgreen: :lol:

Haha...this is what i like to call an "elective" revit model. It was sort of done after the fact, but it's so dang pretty, why don't we just keep it up to date as well? Really for no other purpose than to cut difficult sections and to make nice pictures for the client...haha...whatever, it was actually kind of fun to build, knowing that it was just for show.

sleimgruber06
2006-09-28, 10:48 PM
... why don't we just keep it up to date as well? Really for no other purpose than to cut difficult sections and to make nice pictures for the client...

Thats the point! Why not!? Clients LOVE Revit, especially our clients, because GIVES them not only the information they need, but that pretty picture along with it! They get to see the design PROGRESS through all the different phases...

DanielleAnderson
2006-09-29, 12:24 AM
Thats the point! Why not!? Clients LOVE Revit, especially our clients, because GIVES them not only the information they need, but that pretty picture along with it! They get to see the design PROGRESS through all the different phases...

You're preachin' to the choir here.

Andre Baros
2006-09-29, 01:55 AM
If you were running at 51% it's because you either have a dual core or a dual processor system and Revit was only maxing out 1/2 your capacity.

I've had to do the same sort of "as built" Revit models for two legacy project here just so we could work out things which were missed in the original Acad drawings and for renderings. We've also found it to be a very practical way of teaching Revit because you have an existing set to use as a benchmark.