PDA

View Full Version : 3 acres of forest

petervanko
2006-10-02, 01:26 PM
Anyone have a good method for showing wooded areas w/o killing your computer? I am working on a college campus surrounded by woods that we are preserving, and we are using aerial perspectives extensively for client presentations.

michael.deorsey
2006-10-02, 01:32 PM
I think that your going to need at least 2 models. For the working model I would use a hatch pattern in the plans to show the context, but would not try to model a large number of trees. The you should make a site model for the perspective views with the working model linked into it. That model would have all your trees and whatnot, and can be worked on independently of your actual project model.

Hope this helps.

Mike

petervanko
2006-10-02, 01:50 PM
What about using a workset for the forest?

michael.deorsey
2006-10-02, 02:24 PM
You could do it that way. There are two reasons I would not. First, it is easier from a workflow to have a separate model, separate machine etc. for rendering. The local file can separate this enough, so not that big a deal. The real reason I would not is file size and overhead. That is a lot of geometry that you don't need to load all the time. And where as the workset can be turned off, I just like keeping rendering and all the entourage that comes along with it separate from detailing and working drawings. But it could be done either way.

petervanko
2006-10-02, 03:18 PM
Good points! Thanks!

tc3dcad60731
2006-10-02, 07:53 PM
Agree totally with Mike.

I had a small remodel job that the homeowner wanted to see and outside 3d iso view of the proposed deck with ALL of the trees, shrubs and flowers she was keeping. I agreed knowing that the program could handle it. Unfortunately, i placed it all into the main model and it went through the roof in size and time to load!