PDA

View Full Version : locking family types?

3dsketcher
2006-10-02, 06:24 PM
is there a way to lock family types to control project/company standards? let's say i don't others to modify the section tag?

aaronrumple
2006-10-02, 07:56 PM
Using worksets you can check out the family definitions and others will not be able to make changes.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-02, 08:10 PM
Man i wish i had known that... :lol:

3dsketcher
2006-10-02, 08:11 PM
thanks aaron. so i can put all my 'standard tags' in one workset? i have not worked much with worksets yet but how do control it so that that particular workset can not be checked out. and can they still add a type to it? or the whole family becomes protected.

aaronrumple
2006-10-02, 08:46 PM
No. You'll see that there is a category in the workset dialog called Families and Project Standards. You need to check that to see the family definitions themselves. These are the things you'll be checking out.

The individual symbols are then part of the view workset. No part of the user defined worksets. Only model objects go in user defined worksets.

The way to deal with this is to change your user name (to Administrator). Open the file. Check out the families/project standards. Close the file without relinquishing the objects. Then switch back to your regular user name. That will stop 90% of users from changing your project standards/families.

Of course a good Revit user knows how to get around the whole system.

3dsketcher
2006-10-02, 09:22 PM
good tip :) thanks again.