PDA

View Full Version : Auto Ceiling - how it is calculated - getting weird results

luigi
2006-10-02, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know how the "Auto Ceiling" recognizes a boundary?

The reason why I ask, is that I have a ceiling plan where the walls clearly go from 1st level to 2nd level and the "Auto Ceiling" doesn't recognize it and tries to select the whole building instead (recognizing the exterior walls only).

Anyone has any insight in how it is supposed to behave?

BTW, the attachemnt is the 1st level RCP and it shows that the boundary of the room is defined.

The interior walls go from 1st level to 2nd level, without the top/bottom being attached. There are some openings in the walls, that is why you see the thinner lines showing the projection, rather than the cut., and the one storefront you see on the bottom right is from 1st level to 10' high....The ceiling view range is cutting at 6'-0" (had it earlier at 7'-6") with the top and view depth both set at 2nd level.

I also added a wall right in the middle of the room (left to right) and the Auto Ceiling didn't recognize the top portion, so it isn't related to the openings, nor the storefront... :?

vanessa
2006-10-02, 09:29 PM
I had a similar situation, I was trying to put in the Auto-Ceiling, and kept picking just the exterior walls (which are cont. first to third floor) After messing around with it I discovered that the height it was trying to place my ceiling was higher than the floor to floor height, so it was not seeing the walls, since the int. walls only go from first to second floor. Maybe it is something like that?

christopher.zoog51272
2006-10-02, 10:12 PM
I had a similar situation, I was trying to put in the Auto-Ceiling, and kept picking just the exterior walls (which are cont. first to third floor) After messing around with it I discovered that the height it was trying to place my ceiling was higher than the floor to floor height, so it was not seeing the walls, since the int. walls only go from first to second floor. Maybe it is something like that?
This is where I would start as well, the ceiling offset must "intersect" the walls that are trying bound it.

cphubb
2006-10-03, 05:02 AM
We never use the Auto-Ceiling. Too many problems down the road. Use sketch pick, nearly as fast

Steve_Stafford
2006-10-03, 12:49 PM
Fwiw, currently the ceiling auto-sketch function does not recognize all room bounding elements such as columns. If you rely on these to bound a room they will work fine for room area but not the ceiling function will not.

luigi
2006-10-03, 01:55 PM
Very Strange...yesterday, before leaving, I picked walls, trimmed as needed, created a ceiling. Then I stopped working on the file, this morning, I tried Auto Ceiling and it kinda worked properly, at least it recognized every boundary...I thought...well, the only difference was that I created a ceiling using a different method, so I deleted that ceiling and Auto Ceiling still worked....:?

Strange behavior to signify some type of "bug" in the ceiling command? perhaps?

I will respond to a few of you in a minute...

luigi
2006-10-03, 01:56 PM
There could of been some truths to what you wrote, but when I checked the ceiling height it was set to 10', and the storefront, which is the only "short" wall, was set to 10'.....it should work...but since my project isn't behaving like yesterday I can't exactly pin a problem...

Thanks for your input...

luigi
2006-10-03, 01:59 PM
We never use the Auto-Ceiling. Too many problems down the road. Use sketch pick, nearly as fastHello, maybe what I am about to write is what you meant as well....but I found that the "Auto Pick" without hitting "sketch" first gave me problems in the past...so I never "Auto" pick that way.

I click on the ceiling command, then "sketch" then "Auto Ceiling" and then finish sketch....

and to answer Steve, this method allows me to add more lines to count for some elements (columns, etc.) that are in the room.