PDA

View Full Version : family editor -How to Make Angled Walls?

Maximillian
2006-10-03, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the great help... I am now going to try the family editor to make something substantial.

I want to make an angled wall family. I tried aligning a wall with a mass (wall by face) but it takes to long and I have a lot of different width angled walls to build ( all the same height though).

QUESTION:
Can I make an angled wall family that is adjustable and knows its a wall (and has the correct material layers) that will show in section view correctly?

Is there a good tutorial on making families?

see attached picture of my massing attempt

AND THE REVIT COWBELL KEEPS ON'A CHUGGIN AWAY

archjake
2006-10-03, 12:12 AM
It looks like you have a mass the same exact width / size / geometry as your wall. You only need a face of a mass, then you assign the wall type after you use that face of the mass to create the wall. It is fairly easy to do.

To answer your question about making a wall family. You can't make a family and have Revit know that it is a wall. This is the bad thing.

You can create a wall just as you made the mass with a solid with the variety of solid tools. This does make it difficult to make the wall have all the layers we typically put into a wall.

Another option is to use a ceiling in the place of a wall. Or, sometimes a roof. Depends on where it is.

Now I'm talking in circles, but perhaps you create your wall families that would act as a generic family. Then go to do an in place wall family and insert this generic family into it. Then, Just then it may act as a wall and not a generic family. Its worth a try.

You should be able to make a generic family that is parametric and has the ability to flex and change height or angle.

Good luck.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-03, 02:37 PM
It wont be adjustable, by any means, and im not sure how they behave with respect to joining the floors, but we use the technique that archjake mentioned.

When we need angled walls we build a mass in-place that has a face where the wall needs to go, and use the Wall-by-face tool with the correct wall type... Then we just delete the mass. Its sometimes finicky about the order of operations, but ive found (for our use, anyway) as long as the *normal* (straight vertical) walls are there FIRST, and i wall-by-face the corners after, they join very well for us.

archjake
2006-10-03, 03:45 PM
It wont be adjustable, by any means, and im not sure how they behave with respect to joining the floors, but we use the technique that archjake mentioned.

When we need angled walls we build a mass in-place that has a face where the wall needs to go, and use the Wall-by-face tool with the correct wall type... Then we just delete the mass. Its sometimes finicky about the order of operations, but ive found (for our use, anyway) as long as the *normal* (straight vertical) walls are there FIRST, and i wall-by-face the corners after, they join very well for us.
You could make a mass family that is parametric and use it for your angled walls with the wall-by-face tool.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-03, 04:28 PM
You could make a mass family that is parametric and use it for your angled walls with the wall-by-face tool.

True, true. I havnt tried locking the wall to the mass face, and then editing the mass. Does it work without much impracticality? i was ASSuming it will reign hell on the wall joins and such, but i suppose it may work well. The only issue there is if you leave masses in the model, or turn them off.

On this particular project, we leave them visible because some people wont stop making in-place masses (lol) for actual building elements.... But hopefully that wont be an issue soon.. :)