PDA

View Full Version : Structural visibility issues

patricks
2006-10-03, 09:54 PM
I'm having alot of problems with structural components way up above my floor level, 20+ feet, displaying in my floor plan view. For reference, the plan view's range is set to the default settings of bottom 0, cut plane 4' and top 7'-6" above Level 1.

Now I had some issues before with beams showing in the floor plan, which seemed to be fixed by changing the Analytical Projection Plane from Level 1 to Top of Beam, but now it's happnening on some other beams and even columns, even when the beam was set to Top of Beam.

So I have several horizontal beams about 20 feet above the floor. They're all set to Top of Beam for projection plane, all is fine. I also have some columns from the floor coming up to the underside of one beam, which show correctly in the floor plan.

I copied one of the columns over to the end of one of the beams, and then changed the top and bottom offsets so that it became a stub column, with the bottom of the column at the TOP of the beam, and so on. And yet, it was still visible in floor plan! And also after copying the column, one of the beams up above suddenly became visible in plan.

Even though the top of the beam and the bottom of the stub column were already set to the same elevation, I tried attaching the bottom of the column to the beam. That did the trick and made it not visible in my floor plan.

I'm just not understanding what the deal is with all this stuff. I had beams that were correct before, not visible in plan with the projection plane set to Top of Beam, then after copying and moving some elements around, suddenly they became visible. I had to set the projection plane on those beams to some level higher than the top of the beam to get them to disappear in my floor plan.

Anyone have any insight to all this crazy structural visibility stuff?

patricks
2006-10-04, 07:55 PM
more baffling stuff, I have several beams that are all set to the exact same height, all referencing the same level, all of them set to Top of Beam for analytical reference. One of them is showing up in my floor plan, and the rest are not (all beams are up above the view range of the floor plan).

Again, makes no sense.

Steve Mintz
2006-10-09, 04:10 PM
Can you post the project, or a portion of it? If a picture is worth a thousand words, how much do you figure a model is worth? ;)

Firmso
2007-08-16, 01:26 AM
Has this been solved? having the problem.
Thanks

Matt H
2007-08-16, 08:13 PM
Yeah... I've had that issue too! But in my situation, i could just turn the Structural Framing visablility off. But it still a pain!

ajayholland
2008-06-19, 06:56 PM
I'm reviving this thread after a post search has not manifested any solution.

We've just realized that the diagonal braces in a linked structural file are not affected by the cut plane value of the view range dialog. Like most Revit families, in plan projection of the brace is seen in its entirety, and so appears to block circulation between columns.

Open to any ideas.

~AJH

adb
2008-06-20, 01:14 PM
more baffling stuff, I have several beams that are all set to the exact same height, all referencing the same level, all of them set to Top of Beam for analytical reference. One of them is showing up in my floor plan, and the rest are not (all beams are up above the view range of the floor plan).

Again, makes no sense.

Are some of the beams part of a beam system and others not? I have noticed that this makes a difference, even if the two beams (one part of a system and one not) show the same values as far as height offsets etc. One will show in a framing plan and one will not due to the beam system parameters.

Check that out.