PDA

View Full Version : RESIDENTIAL WINDOW TAG FORMAT

Maximillian
2006-10-04, 07:38 PM
IS THERE A WINDOW TAG THAT WILL SHOW STANDARD RESIDENTAL WINDOW NOTATION IE: "5040" OR DOOR "3068" INSTEAD OF 60"X48" ?

IF YOU HAVE A TAG THAT DOES THIS I WOULD LOVE A COPY FOR R8.1

I WOULD BE IN TROUBLE WITHOUT THIS LIST!

Joef
2006-10-04, 08:22 PM
I do not think it is possible to create a tag with the standard residential window/door nomenclature of 3040 with the 0 in a smaller size font. Please somebody prove me wrong!!!

sleimgruber06
2006-10-04, 08:31 PM
You can always use the family editor to create your own window tag, but from what I can tell, if you're using: tag option >> by category >> you need to change the window's 'Type Marks' under the Identification Tabs in the properties of the windows. It is a tedious process, but you'll have to change the mark on all the different window families in your current project. Then you should resave them so you can use them for future projects.

Hope this helps,

Maximillian
2006-10-04, 08:49 PM
So I would use the value of the "Type " parameter in properties as a work around?

My plan is to create a generic window with builtin tag that displays the format I am required to use 5040. And use that window for generic as-builts.

I did make my own tag but the closest I could get is a decimal in feet ie: 4.67
(supposed to be 48)

there has got to be a way to do this so it works dynamically.

lhanyok
2006-10-04, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't change the type mark - but rather use the height and width parameters that are already in the window. I would explain more, but I'm not familiar with your notation style. What do the numbers represent and what units are they in?

sleimgruber06
2006-10-04, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't change the type mark - but rather use the height and width parameters that are already in the window. I would explain more, but I'm not familiar with your notation style. What do the numbers represent and what units are they in?

Why wouldn't you change the type mark?? It is there to be modified. Revit defaults the windows to simple numerical order...IE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc..

lhanyok
2006-10-04, 09:29 PM
Why wouldn't you change the type mark??

It makes sense to change the type mark when you're noting windows with a notation such as W1, W2, W3, etc. However, if I understand Max.122426 correctly, the notation he wants to use refers to the height and width of the window. (If I'm wrong on this I apologize). So in this case, it makes sense to create a custom tag with labels that refer to the height and width parameters within the window. This way, if the size of a window changes, the notation would change accordingly with no input required from the user. It's just a way to tag different pieces of information.

modulor
2006-10-05, 04:58 AM
Just create a window tag with a "Type Name" parameter label.
Rename the windows in your project as applicable: ie, rename Fixed: 36" x 48" to 3040.

Erik

Maximillian
2006-10-05, 06:38 AM
I am trying to not do Autocad type input such as renaming things on 4 sheets. Dont get me wrong I appreciate everyones input, but its got to be parametric.

My notation in 5040 meaning 5'-0" wide x 4'-0" high
5842 would be 5'-8" x 4'-2"

Is there a way that I can input h&w into a formula and display the result in the tag?

rjjlee
2006-10-05, 07:23 AM
Changing the type mark would mean that each window of type 4050 would tag as 4050- it is a workaround of sorts and you don't have to go into each view to change the tags manually. I don't think you can change the dimension settings to do what you want.

zenomail105021
2006-10-05, 08:11 AM
I do mainly residential and early on set up tags to use Type Mark on doors and windows. Very satisfactory for me.

Bill Maddox

Solomon
2006-10-05, 10:30 AM
I am trying to not do Autocad type input such as renaming things on 4 sheets. Dont get me wrong I appreciate everyones input, but its got to be parametric.I completely agree - for some reason I don't feel comfortable with static text inside a family - users could always change the width & height afterward without the tag reflecting that change.

Is there a way that I can input h&w into a formula and display the result in the tag?If you don't mind creating shared parameters in your families - you can do something similar to what I've done. I've linked formulas to some shared parameters in the window families to display the width and height down to those desired single numbers, and then created a window tag that refers to those shared parameters. Somehow I don't think I explained that clearly - let me know if you don't understand.

In any case, you may find the attached jpeg useful in working out the formulas. In the example at the jpeg - it's a 3'-0" Width x 6'-0" Height window at 8'-0" Header Height.

I've also attached the window tag (v9.0 though) that I created to display these values, in the format mentioned by Joef above - Big 3 Superscripted 0 Big 6 Superscripted 0 (it would be nice if Revit actually had a superscripted dimensional format.) You may find that you'll want to tweak it a bit to your liking. Unfortunately I haven't worked out a way to space the letters perfectly in every instance Height or Width - so that large windows may have overlapping text when the Width or Height gets into double digits.

Let me know if that's what you're looking for...

Solomon

ford347
2006-10-05, 01:24 PM
I have attached my window tag, just in case it will work, but it does not display what you want it to. Revit only has one way to display true dimension and it's long hand. I think the easiest way to keep it as coordinated as you can is to have the tag display the type Name i.e. 36" x 48", I rename these family types as 3040..your tag could display that. Normally when someone creates a duplicate of a family, they have in mind what they are changing it to, so I would think this would be pretty safe. If not, you're going to have to live with it the other way. I draw a lot of residential as well as physically frame a lot and my tag displays the true dimension, something that my guys in the field nor I mind at all. It looks pretty clean and nobody really even notices. If anything, it makes it pretty clear to anybody looking at the plans. My 2 cents.

Josh.

modulor
2006-10-05, 03:32 PM
Renaming the family type name is certainly not parametric, but you're gonna be renaming it anyway if you change the physical size of the window. Also, you can name it to indicate type: "3040DH" for 36" x 48" double-hung.

Erik

Maximillian
2006-10-05, 05:27 PM
Good input.

My hope is to not rename due to window type but have a parameter dropdown( sorry I am still a bit new to the family editor) that will allow me to select Fixed, SH or HS and another one for new and existing (E) OR (N)

Sorry I think I am the only one using 8.1 and I cant read most families posted.

Solomon
2006-10-06, 03:41 PM
Max - if you send me the 8.1 Window Tag Template, found under Imperial Templates\Annotations - I'll cook up a quick one that I think will get you going with what you want. I've still got 8.1 installed, but have no content...

Cheers

Solomon

Maximillian
2006-10-06, 06:52 PM
Solomon

here is the standard window tag from 8.1 lib. curious to see what you have in mind.

Solomon
2006-10-07, 05:26 PM
okay max - here is a tag that refers to the shared parameters i attached in this message (and the formulas -in my message above- for those shared parameters should be in all of your window families...)

if it's not clear what i've done - upload one of your window families and i'll add the shared parameters and formulas to give you an example....

let me know how it goes -

Solomon

Maximillian
2006-10-08, 11:28 PM
OK, I think you may have something here! However I will need to research shared parameters. Can I use this tag on any window? or does it need to "share parameters" of values that I input in my specific generic window that I plan to create? I was also hoping to use the tag on other windows that the client requests. But i guess i cant have my cake and eat it too.

The cowbell is close to running at full speed.....

Solomon
2006-10-09, 07:14 AM
Can I use this tag on any window? or does it need to "share parameters" of values that I input in my specific generic window that I plan to create?You can use it on any window that you input those shared parameters. You could even place them in your window template so that they are there from the beginning with any new window you create...

To give you an example of what you can do - I've attached the "Casement.rfa" I found in the Revit 8.1 Content library, modified with these shared parameters (I placed the modifications in the Constraints subsection in the Family Types dialog box...). I had also made a mistake in the previous shared parameters file - and am uploading a corrected version (both here and in the message above...) So you'll want to re-download it...

Cheers

Solomon