PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between polar and linear parameters/actions?

.chad
2006-10-04, 09:10 PM
i am at a loss. what is the difference between polar and linear params/actions? i looked through the help file and didnt find anything i could wrap my brain around.

danke.

Chris.N
2006-10-05, 02:07 AM
i am at a loss. what is the difference between polar and linear params/actions? i looked through the help file and didnt find anything i could wrap my brain around.

danke.Think "Polar" Array vs. the regular one as compared to the Polar parameter vs. Linear parameter.
what the polar option allows you to do is simultaniously stretch and rotate all in one action. the multistep way is to have both linear parameter and a rotate parameter.

Rico
2006-10-06, 01:44 PM
Think "Polar" Array vs. the regular one as compared to the Polar parameter vs. Linear parameter.
what the polar option allows you to do is simultaniously stretch and rotate all in one action. the multistep way is to have both linear parameter and a rotate parameter.
That being said, it's also a more complex parameter and requires a bit more thought on behalf of the user. The grip is different; it's a box instead of an arrow marker.

It is, however, a great option to go with if you are stretching and rotating. less work on behalf of the caddie using it, IMHO. And it's one less thing to worry about in DB creation.

r424andy
2006-10-06, 07:10 PM
Keep your eye on the command line....after you select objects to stretch you are asked for objects to rotate....polar can be tricky

Rico
2006-10-06, 07:19 PM
Keep your eye on the command line....after you select objects to stretch you are asked for objects to rotate....polar can be tricky
as long as you remember that it always asks you for objects to stretch FIRST and then objects to rotate SECOND, it's not that bad. The harder part comes in knowing WHAT to include and what to exclude. That's the rub. But trial and error always works, and if you're THAT stuck, you can always post it on here and we'll give ya a nudge in the right direction. :)

r424andy
2006-10-06, 07:44 PM
Believe you me...I cursed polar the first few times i tried to use it...now its not as bad

Rico
2006-10-06, 07:57 PM
Believe you me...I cursed polar the first few times i tried to use it...now its not as bad
I hear ya. I did the same thing when I first used it. :lol:

Chris.N
2006-10-07, 05:21 PM
I hear ya. I did the same thing when I first used it. :lol:i got you all beat, i still curse polar stretch... it's the classic 'love-hate' relationship... :p

Rico
2006-10-10, 01:36 PM
i got you all beat, i still curse polar stretch... it's the classic 'love-hate' relationship... :p
it's a competition??? ;)