PDA

View Full Version : View Error Message

DanielleAnderson
2006-10-04, 10:05 PM
Has anybody else seen this?
I just started a fresh model this morning and about every 3rd time I go to open a view, I get an error that it must close. It doesn't shut the program down, it just means that I have to try a second time - rather annoying, although the "shall" is very polite. ;)

cphubb
2006-10-04, 10:56 PM
I has to do with your video card drives video card etc. We got it all the time in 8.0 but it went away once we got to 8.1 and have not seen it since. If I recall we had to upgrade our video card drivers or something. Check to see if your display settings are good and upgrade your video card drivers to the latest. If you have Dell try the nvidia drivers as Dell does not update theirs nearly as fast

sleimgruber06
2006-10-04, 11:10 PM
I has to do with your video card drives video card etc. We got it all the time in 8.0 but it went away once we got to 8.1 and have not seen it since. If I recall we had to upgrade our video card drivers or something. Check to see if your display settings are good and upgrade your video card drivers to the latest. If you have Dell try the nvidia drivers as Dell does not update theirs nearly as fast

Yea, all you have to do is go to Nvidia.com and downlaod the latest drivers for your machines... you're I.T. person should be able to do it easily.

DanielleAnderson
2006-10-04, 11:27 PM

Hmm... I just took a look at the graphics card and driver. I've got a brand-spankin-new HP and apparently it's got an nvidia Ge Force 6600, the driver says it is from 6/1/2006 and it isn't finding anything more current.

I had the reverse situation. I didn't see this at all in 8.1, but am discovering it now in 9.0, although I've been on 9.0 for some time now and today is the first day the error has come up.

Perhaps I will pass this on to IT.

MRV
2006-10-05, 01:56 AM
For me this was not a problem until 9.0, now I have learned to watch how many views I have opened, (and I usually open a lot of views) - you need to close unused windows regularly with the recent updates. Go to menu "window" "close hidden windows" and tell it to close all hidden windows. This happens both with ATI and Nvidia cards, it's not the video card, it's Revit.

Let's hope they get serious about video cards in the next release! I just looked at 3ds Max with the new ATI drivers for Max, and I could spin a complex model in 3d as fast as I wanted, and no geometry dropped out! This is with an ATI v3100, the low guy on the block!

Michael Vaughn

Chad Smith
2006-10-05, 02:24 AM
It wasn't a problem for me until v9.1 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=45955).

DanielleAnderson
2006-10-05, 04:14 AM
Let's hope they get serious about video cards in the next release! I just looked at 3ds Max with the new ATI drivers for Max, and I could spin a complex model in 3d as fast as I wanted, and no geometry dropped out! This is with an ATI v3100, the low guy on the block!

Michael Vaughn

Yes - whenever I complain about performance, our IT guy rolls his eyes and says "what do you want? this is the fastest processor we can get you! this is the best graphics card out there!" etc. etc. He has learned quickly to blame these performance things on Revit.

Thanks for the tip about having too many views open. It is a bad habit of mine. I'm hoping that will fix this for now.

cphubb
2006-10-05, 03:16 PM
Yes I agree it is Revit. However it is really dependent on your video card drivers position of the moon etc.

We have been unable to successfully duplicate that error on similar machines with similar drivers Revit graphics settings etc. However in almost every case using the latest NVIDIA drivers got rid of the problem except for the occasional error. We also noticed that certain views had that error and deleting those views and recreating them from scratch stopped the error.

I also hope Revit will be full Open GL ready by version 10. We have been waiting a long time

patricks
2006-10-05, 03:39 PM
Hmm... I just took a look at the graphics card and driver. I've got a brand-spankin-new HP and apparently it's got an nvidia Ge Force 6600, the driver says it is from 6/1/2006 and it isn't finding anything more current.

I had the reverse situation. I didn't see this at all in 8.1, but am discovering it now in 9.0, although I've been on 9.0 for some time now and today is the first day the error has come up.

Perhaps I will pass this on to IT.

The GeForce card could be part of the problem. I think Revit works better with QuadroFX cards or ATI FireGL cards.

I also get the message every now and then, but it's only when I have lots of views opening and I'm closing them one-by-one using the window close button. So if you have lots of views open, use Window > Close Hidden Windows.

BTW I'm running a QuadroFX 3000 card ($$$$) so I'm pretty sure it's Revit and not the graphics card.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-05, 03:55 PM
I have that issue occasionally as well, on my virtually new HP XW8200 (Dual 3.6, 3gigs of ram, nVidea QuadroFX 4400). When it happens i end up having to close Revit and reboot the program.

Mine also gets in the habit (furing a day when ive had a ton of different windows open), of not actually displaing a new sheet/window when i open it. It will ctually be on the new sheet, but it wont show up. Then, the only way to get it to show up is to click "close hidden windows". It gets annoying, becuase everytime you switch views you have to close hidden. I usually save and reboot to circumvent...

Isaacarus
2006-10-05, 04:49 PM
I have a Quadro FX and it has the same problems. I have all the most current drivers and I get the same issue all the time. It seems to happen less when hardware acceleration is turned off, but it still happens.

I hope they will get this fixed soon. It is not a big deal but it is really annoying!

cphubb
2006-10-05, 04:56 PM
Our old Desktop had Quadro 540 FX 128.

My new laptop has a Quadro NVS 110 256. Have not had that ever show up. It may have to do with video memory. I guess this card has 256 but can take some system ram as needed.

AfricaAD
2006-10-16, 04:58 PM
This is an issue with (non-revit) linked files. We are experiencing it with linked existing CAD dwg files, which was fine in v9.0. Updating your drivers will not fix this problem. You need to change your graphics options to software mode - Disable OpenGL & Enable Overlay Planes. There will be a performance downgrade once you switch. The other option is to detach all linked files.

jspartz
2006-10-16, 09:25 PM
Nicely put. It's not your hardware. It is the software. Revit can not fully handle OpenGL right now - it is too buggy. In your Options turn OpenGL acceleration off and the problem will go away.

Overconstrained
2006-10-17, 02:35 AM
I used to have this problem in 9.0. I have not experienced it 9.1 yet. Maybe it's been addressed?

dbaldacchino
2006-10-17, 03:30 AM
I would not turn off OpenGL if I were you. It's too much to give up. I started having this problem with my Latitude D820 with Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M. To reduce the problem (I only get that error occasionally when working with complex geometry and other linked 3D files) I just kicked my hardware acceleration down a notch and it has stabilized considerably. I'll have to see if Nvidia has new drivers, maybe it'll help even more.

AfricaAD
2006-10-17, 08:54 PM
I had no luck finding the right graphics card settings. I would also have to set the graphics drivers on every user's workstation. On another note, I also found that if you create a new small dwg file from scratch then link into Revit, it worked. I also received a response from support that they received the same error in both v9.0 & 9.1.
I also heard that if there is an upgrade in the middle of a project, it can cause errors.