PDA

View Full Version : Cutting "Through" Site

photography67836
2004-06-17, 11:51 PM
Here's a good one. I understand how pads work, but is it possible to have a pad stop its "cutting" at a certain height so that the site will continue over top of a building? In other words is there a way to have the site continue over top of a building? Maybe there is another way to do this....

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-06-18, 02:04 PM
Use an in place void family. I tried this once, out of curiosity, and created a tunnel through a site. Very cool indeed.

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-18, 02:10 PM
Dimitri,

Could you post a little example? Another post was asking how to do a "tunnel" and that might help them out! THIS POST (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4724)

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-06-18, 02:19 PM
Quick explanation (heading into a meeting at the moment but I'll re-build and post it later)
Started with a solid sweep. Copied it on itslef and offset it the thickness of the tunnel wall, changed its properties to a void and locked the two together. Bingo!

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-18, 02:40 PM
If this works I'm going to give it the Post of the Decade award. I had given up on this one... I've even tried something like this. How'd you do it, mate???

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-06-18, 06:42 PM
OK folks,

I swear I did this before and the void created a 'hole' in the site. It doesn't seem to do that now. What we have is a 'representation' of a tunnel.
The piece on the left is a simple void cutting through the site. The middle is a tunnel comprised of a solid and a void as a family with another void on the interior of the tunnel, to cut the site. The right side is the same tunnel without the additional void.
Hope this helps for the time being. I'll keep plugging away at this because I know what I saw (insert UFO smilie here:-? )

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-20, 05:26 AM
What I told Jason to do is to not bother with the pad for underground structures that have landscaping over top -- in sections thru these structures just turn topo off, and use filled regions showing earth where you need them.

cphubb
2004-06-22, 02:55 PM
Well the void theoru seems to work. Seems a little complicated though. To get an underground building you would have to fill each room with a void or it would delete your building objects.