PDA

View Full Version : Combine calculation for multiple areas into one?

scramer.118425
2006-10-06, 02:43 PM
I'm doing an area plan. I've got multiple areas on one floor, which are not touching each other, but are the same department. I've created an area schedule, and I want to get one number per department that is the sum of all the individual areas. For example, say I've got 4 areas that are all part of the "Prototyping" department. But the schedule lists each area separately. Is there a way to combine those 4 numbers into one and list the Prototyping department once with the cumulative total?

Thanks for your help.

sbrown
2006-10-06, 03:29 PM
you can sort your schedule by department, then uncheck the itemize all instances and all the areas you have specified as that department will be tallied together.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-10-06, 04:00 PM
You can also create a sub-total for each department in your schedule, that way you get the best of both worlds

scramer.118425
2006-10-06, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Scott.

I'm sorting by name (department) like you suggested, and have "Itemize every instance" unchecked, yet it's not combining the totals into one number for some reason.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-06, 04:23 PM
In the schedule, right click > view properties > formatting> select the field on the left that you want the totals of > check the box "calculate totals"

Just throwing that out there in case you hadnt done so yet...

scramer.118425
2006-10-06, 04:26 PM
Ok... sometimes you just need someone who knows how it works to say what works, so you know what SHOULD be working, and when it doesn't, you start thinking harder about why.

Problem solved. I had it sorting by name, but... I ALSO had a "Then by" set to sort by area after the initial sort by name, which of course, now that I think about it, would break out each area separately. I guess earlier, after my logic took me so far, I when into "click random combinations" mode, and I wasn't now looking deeper to see where there might be a setting mucking it all up.

Thanks again for the help.

sleimgruber06
2006-10-06, 05:11 PM
...I guess earlier, after my logic took me so far, I when into "click random combinations" mode, and I wasn't now looking deeper to see where there might be a setting mucking it all up...

LOL! Sorry, I had to comment...been there done that... I find it extremely funny now though...

plyrockie59720597
2017-05-03, 10:01 PM
I know this is an old post but how would I create a sub-total for each department? I am creating a schedule now where the client wants to know square footages for bedrooms, then the bathrooms, and so on. So I need to separate the bedrooms from the other rooms on the floor and get a total just for them, and then do the bathrooms and so on. I have been trying to add a new row but it will not let me do that for some reason. I have tried going through and doing it with a key schedule but that doesn't have the fields that I would need to use for my schedule. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

gregb
2017-05-09, 04:13 PM
In the Schedule Properties dialog box, go to the Sorting/Grouping tab. Use one of the Sort by: pull downs to select the parameter that identifies the type of room (bedroom, bathroom, etc.). Check the Footer: box and use the associated pull down to format the total as desired. If you've got more than one parameter used for sorting then you'll need to play around with the order to get the schedule grouped the way you want.