PDA

View Full Version : Monolithic stair and railing issues

patricks
2006-10-06, 07:50 PM
For some reason I can't get my railings to work right on some exterior concrete steps next to a loading dock.

First consider "normal" steel or wood stairs. Those have separate treads and risers with a specified thickness for each. Normally the stair ends at the top with a riser, with the floor structure at the top. When you add a railing, it measures the vertical distance from the tread nosing to the top rail to get the railing height and make it follow the slope of the stairs. And if you edit the sketch for the railing, you can add separate segments at each end for the railing extensions, or to make them continue around a landing.

Okay now, with monolithic stairs, there is no tread or riser thickness, and you have to end with a tread instead of a riser. That top riser is going to be the same height as the floor level (sure would be nice if stairs and floors would join geometry, but I digress). So now if I draw a railing along the edge of the stairs from end to end, the railing ends up being one tread too long, and one riser too high. The baluster at the top of the railing actually floats in midair.

So I tried pulling the sketch line back to the forward edge of the top tread, and then making a separate sketch line going along that top tread, and also along the edge of my landing. Well that didn't work, now my railing continues up at the same slope as the stair, above my landing and hits my wall about 6 ft. above the landing instead of 3' - 6" above the floor level.

So what am I to do here? Do I have to calculate the height of one riser, and actually make my stair one riser short so that the floor slab can serve as the top-most tread nosing, as it would in real life? Of course, that leaves a gap between the top tread of the stair and the floor slab. Or will I have to just create separate railings for the sloped portion and the horizontal portion of the railing (really want to avoid doing that).

See the following images. The first one shows the railing with one sketch line ending at the top end of the stair, and another sketch line running along the landing. You can see how the landing railing is too high by an amount equal to one stair riser height. The second image shows the railing sketch line ending out at the nosing on the top tread, and then a separate line running along the landing and out over the top tread to meet the other line. That one just keeps sloping all the way up. The third one shows 2 separate railing elements. They're at the correct heights, but of course not connected.

I would rather have it as one element so it will connect. Am I just out of luck here?

patricks
2006-10-06, 08:03 PM
Here are 2 more possibilities.

The first one I did as I described and lowered the top of the stair by one riser height, and removed one tread. This makes the railing correct, but of course there is the gap between the top of the stairs and the landing.

In the second one I reverted back to the image up top where the railing slopes all the way up to the wall, but then I selected the sketch line along the landing and changed its Slope setting to Flat. That almost works, but as you can see the balusters up near the wall still follow the slope of the stair. I know I can change the end baluster's base setting, but if it's not set to Host, it has to be set to one of the rails.

So I'm still scratching my head how to get this thing right.

Scott D Davis
2006-10-06, 09:04 PM
Make the landing at the top part of the stair. This will be your last tread, although a "large" one.

See attached, one railing deleted for clarity:

patricks
2006-10-06, 09:16 PM
doh!

duhh why didn't I think of that! :p

And I even adjusted the landing carriage height to get the correct 4" slab thickness. Once again Revit amazes me! :cool:

davidcobi
2006-10-06, 09:18 PM
Thanks for that Scott. We've been wondering how to deal with that top step ourselves.

patricks
2006-10-06, 09:22 PM
now in a situation with a monolithic stair leading up to an entire floor (not just a landing), it sure would be nice to be able to join the stair to the floor. Because in that case you can't really use this method. The only option really is linework in the plan view.

Maximillian
2007-03-26, 09:47 PM
how do I extend the last riser to male the landing?

Also, how are you making the stairs look like they were done in one pour?
(no tread/riser lines)

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-26, 10:20 PM
Just drag the riser line in the stair sketch.
Set your stair type to 'monolithic' and be sure the riser and tread thickness are set to '0'

Maximillian
2007-03-27, 05:01 AM
instead of adjusting the landing carriage height and stringer carriage height to make the stringer wrest on the bottom level? (for a small conc.exterior residential porch)...Is there a way to do this automatically?

rudolfweyers346383
2009-01-29, 02:45 PM
now in a situation with a monolithic stair leading up to an entire floor (not just a landing), it sure would be nice to be able to join the stair to the floor. Because in that case you can't really use this method. The only option really is linework in the plan view.

Im having the same problem with the last balutrade on my railing, as you can see in the pic I've attached. Then a futher problem I'm having is that the top of my balstrade has a pin that would hold up the top rail, the length of this pin changes with every balstrade on the length of the railing. This only happens on my sloped railings, on the flat parts, they all stay the same.