PDA

View Full Version : In-place Void is affecting my wall sweep

patricks
2006-10-09, 08:45 PM
I have a wall type with a sweep profile along the bottom for a wainscot. I edited the profile of that wall to make an opening for a drive-under canopy. Then when I added an in-place void above the opening (only 3/4" thick to make a recessed area), the sweep along the bottom continued unbroken across the opening. This makes no sense.

Please take a look at the attached file. Select and delete the in-place void and see what happens. Any ideas? I'm sure the other walls attaching to the corners of the edited profile have something to do with it, but why? Any remedy to this?

patricks
2006-10-09, 09:05 PM
I even tried making the recessed area as an actual hosted family. It inserts fine into the model at first, as long as it doesn't touch the top edge of the profile sketch. As soon as I move it down to align with the top of the wall profile sketch, the sweep along the bottom becomes continuous across that opening.

grrrr it's these little quirks that take up sooo much time :banghead:

tamas
2006-11-16, 09:04 PM
Patrick,

First of all, I am sorry for your frustration. There are a few workarounds you can do to make this work however:

The easiest one is to make the void large enough to cut the sweep at the bottom. Since it is a "cut-by-inserts" kind sweep, it thinks that the insert on the wall (the void in this case) will do the cutting.

Another way is to adjust your void to NOT be perfectly aligned to the vertical edges of the wall profile. Any small offset will do.

Will try to fix it in the future so you wont need workarounds.

Regards,
Tamas

patricks
2006-11-16, 09:17 PM
thanks, but I ended up splitting the wall and not using an edited profile sketch. The center section of the wall I set the base offset to 19 feet above the floor, with no wainscot sweep, and then I placed the recess void family on that wall.