PDA

View Full Version : Rotating materials (not patterns)

rkitect
2006-10-12, 07:52 PM
I'm wondering if there is an easier way to rotate a material map (ie: ceiling tiles, floor tiles) without making a seperate texture map for each rotation angle you want.

TIA.

sleimgruber06
2006-10-12, 08:31 PM
I'm wondering if there is an easier way to rotate a material map (ie: ceiling tiles, floor tiles) without making a seperate texture map for each rotation angle you want.

TIA.

But wouldn't it save time in the long run to make the different angles you use, so you can just click-n-go later in the project or even on a new one?

rkitect
2006-10-12, 09:29 PM
Yeah, but it would be even better/effcient/whatever if (possible wishlist item) you could just have a parameter to allow the material to rotate. Or, even better, tab through to the material and rotate it using the rotate command like you can a pattern. Would be nice.

Plus the angle of rotation is pretty specific to this project. I doubt I'll have a 23.72 deg rotation of a concrete block on any other projects down the road. Maybe, but highly unlikely..

sleimgruber06
2006-10-12, 09:33 PM
... tab through to the material and rotate it using the rotate command like you can a pattern. Would be nice.

I like that idea, add it to the wishlist...

Kroke
2006-10-12, 10:21 PM
This has been noted since v3.

Alex Page
2006-10-12, 10:28 PM
other than when linking....doesnt the material rotate if one rotates the pattern?

rkitect
2006-10-13, 01:40 PM
Not that I've noticed. The material seems to be very strictly related to an x,y,z, system when looking at the project in plan view ( for floor materials) or elevation view (for wall materials). This is only from observation and I'm not sure what the specifics of material behavior in Revit is.

pS. WOOHOO!!! 100 posts!

Heitman Architects
2006-10-13, 04:51 PM
We have long had a problem with ceiling and floor tiles. The grids show perfectly in our CDs after the desired aligning. Then the renderings require tedious 'nudging' of the bitmap offset to get it to look right. Another example is brick.

It would be nice to be able to lock a specific point in your bitmap to a specific point in your model surface pattern, 'dragging' it along.

Alex Page
2006-10-14, 01:52 AM
Not that I've noticed. The material seems to be very strictly related to an x,y,z, system when looking at the project in plan view ( for floor materials) or elevation view (for wall materials). This is only from observation and I'm not sure what the specifics of material behavior in Revit is.

pS. WOOHOO!!! 100 posts!

Try this....assign a decking material and horizontal line pattern to your deck. If you render the boards will be in a certain direction. If you then rotate the decking pattern 90 degreed, and re-render, the material rotates as well.

Now Im thinking about it...it may not be the bipmap rotating...but the 'tile' pattern within the accurender settings....hmmm

luigi
2006-10-14, 02:23 AM
It seems as though you know the shortfall of Revit and rendered bitmap materials...there is no way not to have multiple materials with rotated bitmap for objects in Revit. (i.e. bitmap rotated to 0 and to 90, etc.)

TIA.

pdavis
2006-10-16, 08:43 PM
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Say you want to rotate a tile pattern. Place your cursor over one of the "joints". Use the TAB keys until you select just one of the "joints". Then you can then use the move, align or rotate tool to change the texture.

Teresa.Martin
2006-10-16, 09:33 PM
Revit needs a UVW map parameter (the type that exists in Viz and Max). It would be nice to be able to lock the material to the coordinates of the hatch pattern though..
Revit 10?
Teresa Martin
Ideate Inc.