PDA

View Full Version : Brick Cleanup

raddis
2006-10-12, 08:00 PM
Please look at attached jpg.
Notice the nice brick miter on the lower floor.
Here's the sequence.
1. Create entire exterior brick wall from level 2 to level 6 48' up.
2. Add 4'-0 opening, 8'-1 3/8" high (don't go there!)
3. Add brick returns (all walls 4" generic brick family). This causes opening to expand 2" on each side. Brick return is started at outside face of exterior wall.
4. I tried copy and paste with both opening and brick but got a notched corner, so....
5. Copied 2nd level openings to 3rd level then reduced these to 4'-0"
6. Copied these 3rd level openings to 4th and 5th levels.
7. When I draw the brick returns on the 3rd level exactly like I did on the 2nd level, I get a blank end to the brick at the opening instead of miter joint.

Why?

luigi
2006-10-13, 01:17 AM
Do you want a solution? sometimes is happens, eventhough the steps are exact. As long as you are 100% sure that the face of the brick return alignes with the brick opening (I would check by aligning the brick wall to the opening) then in 3d, or preferrably in plan view, use Wall join tool and check "miter" instead of "butt" this should do the trick. Wall Openings are a real sensitive, unpredictable tool. You might not be able to change the wall join, and may not be able to easily modify the edges of the openings....

Anyways, if it doesn't work let me know...

Take care,

Please look at attached jpg.
Notice the nice brick miter on the lower floor.
Here's the sequence.
1. Create entire exterior brick wall from level 2 to level 6 48' up.
2. Add 4'-0 opening, 8'-1 3/8" high (don't go there!)
3. Add brick returns (all walls 4" generic brick family). This causes opening to expand 2" on each side. Brick return is started at outside face of exterior wall.
4. I tried copy and paste with both opening and brick but got a notched corner, so....
5. Copied 2nd level openings to 3rd level then reduced these to 4'-0"
6. Copied these 3rd level openings to 4th and 5th levels.
7. When I draw the brick returns on the 3rd level exactly like I did on the 2nd level, I get a blank end to the brick at the opening instead of miter joint.

Why?

raddis
2006-10-13, 01:26 PM
Edit Join - Miter doesn't work.
It creates really weird plan conditions on ALL levels, not just the current one. You see the miter line with the same weight as the wall exterior and on some levels you get a 'V" notch in plan.

raddis
2006-10-13, 05:31 PM
The cleanup problem is related to the Opening. It is the blank edge of the Opening that we are seeing on all but the second level.

luigi
2006-10-13, 09:43 PM
Like I said earlier, the opening tool is a very delicate tool. If a wall is lined up with the opening...it is supposed to have its own "wall Join" type, different than the below join and the above join. If the 4" brick wall lines up with the edge of the opening, you are supposed to be able to change the "wall join" of the opening to have it work for you...and I now do recall that miter isn't an option as you have described....

paint the edge in the material you wal (brick) and then join geometry between the main wall and the 4" brick wall....as long as the edge of the 4" brick wall and the opening line up perfectly(use the align tool to be sure)....it will look good in 3d.

I am often in that situation...so it is not consistent, but it is workable...

The cleanup problem is related to the Opening. It is the blank edge of the Opening that we are seeing on all but the second level.