PDA

View Full Version : Design Option and Residential Roofs

bill.92885
2006-10-13, 05:57 PM
Anyone haver any experience with creating different roofs as design options? As my primary I've created a hip roof. As an option I've created a gable roof but can't figure out how to have the wall below extend to the underside of the roof.

aggockel50321
2006-10-13, 06:05 PM
You'd have to put any walls that you want to attach to the roof(s) into each of the options. Then you can attach them.

bill.92885
2006-10-13, 06:16 PM
How do you do that without having one wall on top of another?

Brian Myers
2006-10-13, 06:30 PM

The walls would be contained within the options, not part of the main drawing. In other words, the walls themselves would be options (even if they are identical to each other in every other way...). As a result of this, they will never be in the same spot at the same time.

dsw98
2006-10-13, 06:31 PM

The way I do it is to create my main model, then add that entire model to an option set. Then inside that same option set duplicate the Primary Option and then change it's name to the new options. Then go to town on your roof. Hope that made sense.

ron.sanpedro
2006-10-13, 07:15 PM

You can split your gable end wall at the plat line, so only the gable and roof are part of the gable option, the hip roof is not attached to wall and is its own option, and the floor to plate line section of walls is part of the main model. If the gable end is the primary option you MIGHT be able to join geometry so you don't get a horizontal line on the gable end.

Best,
Gordon

bill.92885
2006-10-13, 07:50 PM
I've ended up adding the front walls to both design options and that took care of what I wanted to do. Thanks to all for their input.