PDA

View Full Version : Reveals - How so they work?

pinky
2006-10-13, 08:56 PM
I made a reveal and need to track all the way around a set of three builidngs. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes i get an error mesage that can be ignored that says reveal cannot cut wall at corner. If I click ok it makes the reveal but I can't see it on the face of the wall.

What am I doing wrong. I don't necessarily want the reveal to be part of the wall assembly.

Thanks

Pinky

sbrown
2006-10-14, 12:24 PM
I would build it into the wall type otherwise you'll spend a lot of time managing it. Basically though to answer your question, you will just need to keep adding new segments to the wall sweep. Sometimes in 3d the sweep will go to the inside of the wall instead of the outside, so its best to be in true elevation and add as many as you can. The problem comes when you have a problem and need to delete it, then you will wish it was part of a wall assembly.

dbaldacchino
2006-10-14, 04:05 PM
I agree, being part of the wall assembly is the way to go for accent bands. You have to be careful what layers to unlock in your wall family if you want to control the top and bottom offsets of a particular layer, as it can shift the family defined sweeps/reveals. In my case, I wanted the brick veneer to sit lower than the stud so in section you would see the brick ledge, but it caused some wall clean-up problems and sweep movement, so I decided not to unlock layers. We had to use detail components and repeating detail anyway in section to flush it out, so it didn't matter.

Melarch
2006-10-15, 10:48 AM
Pinky,

Using the Hosted Wall Sweep or Reveals tool behaves with the walls based on their releation ship at corners (see Edit Wall Joins in HELP and using the Wall Join tool button). When walls come to corners they either butt, miter or square off. The default wall corner join condition is to butt, which requires one of the walls to pass over the other wall at corners. When applying hosted wall sweeps/reveals they want to follow the wall that is butting in the corner and therefore you must return the hosted wall sweep/reveal around the corner of the butted wall. You cannot extend the shorter wallin the butt condition across the end of the wall that it butts into and that is why you are getting the message you cannot cut the wall at the corner, because it it the return wall in that corner.