PDA

View Full Version : User Display Preferences

lindsayfriesen
2006-10-14, 06:04 PM
How can I preserve my window tiling setup, so that when i reopen a project, i don't have to re-arrange all the windows again?

dbaldacchino
2006-10-15, 03:17 PM
Interesting idea....I know that some family templates behave this way, but I don't think it's possible with a project.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-10-15, 06:32 PM
It does work with a project file, but not in a very useful way.

If you arrange your windows as you want them, do a save and then immediately close the project file, the windows will reopen as they were. The problem with this is here is no way to revert to a tiled set up at any time while you're working. So unless you always have your windows tiled a certain way it's not much help.

s.messing
2006-10-15, 08:35 PM
How can I preserve my window tiling setup, so that when i reopen a project, i don't have to re-arrange all the windows again?Yes, an interesting idea. I have been telling users in the office to avoid leaving multiple windows open when saving to central on the theory that it could be detrimental to the file. It has become a rule here to close all hidden windows, window tile, zoom extents, and then save to central. That way, no matter who opens or uses a file, it will at least be standard and "organized" when he or she does open it. Plus, most of our projects are so big and sometimes cumbersome that allowing people to have lots of windows open could slow down the initial regen for whoever opens it next.
Just curious,
1. what are the benefits of opening a file with multiple views tiled on the screen?
2. How many windows are we talking about here? (do you have a plan, section, elevation, 3D and are you using all of these while you are working?)
Cheers,
Stephen