PDA

View Full Version : Transfer License to Laptop

jwilhelm
2004-06-19, 08:32 PM
Can anyone give me a link to info on tramsfering my license to my laptop & backagain? I need to do some field work

thanks

mjfarrell
2004-06-19, 10:32 PM
Check this:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2890728&linkID=2475507

and:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3224694&linkID=2475323

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3422266&linkID=2475323

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2981368&linkID=2475323

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2861236&linkID=2475323

beegee
2004-06-19, 11:13 PM
Can anyone give me a link to info on tramsfering my license to my laptop & backagain? I need to do some field work

thanksIf you are running Autodesk Revit with a standalone license, you can transfer that license, using the Portable License Utility. The Portable License utility transfers a product license from one computer to another and ensures that the product works only on the computer that contains the license.

Access the Portable License Utility by clicking Start, Programs, Autodesk Revit, Portable License Utility. For more information on the Portable License Utility, see the online help with it.

To export a license

On the source computer, on the Start menu (Windows), click All Programs (or Programs) mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCommon%20FilesAutodesk%20SharedENUadsk_plu250.chm::/ac.menuaro.gif Autodesk mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCommon%20FilesAutodesk%20SharedENUadsk_plu250.chm::/ac.menuaro.gif [Autodesk product name] mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCommon%20FilesAutodesk%20SharedENUadsk_plu250.chm::/ac.menuaro.gif Portable License Utility.

On the Licenses tab, select the license you want to export, and then click Export License.
The Export License dialog box displays the Autodesk product name and license name, and lists the computer name and identification code of all computers in the computer list.

In the Export To list, select a target computer.
Note The target computer is the only place this exported license can go. You cannot select one target computer now and then transfer the license to a different computer.

Check your notes to verify that the identification code is correct for the target computer.
The identification code displayed here must match exactly the code on the target computer.

Under Export Type, select an export type.
Note You must select Use Transfer File if this is the first time you are transferring this license to the target computer. The transfer file contains license information needed by the target computer.

<LI class=list_1 value=6>Click Transfer License.
In the Export Succeeded dialog box, click OK.

In the Portable License Utility window, click Close.

To import a license

On the target computer, on the Start menu (Windows), click All Programs (or Programs) mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCommon%20FilesAutodesk%20SharedENUadsk_plu250.chm::/ac.menuaro.gif Autodesk mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCommon%20FilesAutodesk%20SharedENUadsk_plu250.chm::/ac.menuaro.gif [Autodesk product name] mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCommon%20FilesAutodesk%20SharedENUadsk_plu250.chm::/ac.menuaro.gif Portable License Utility.

<LI class=list_1 value=2>On the Licenses tab, click Import License.
In the Import License dialog box, select a license transfer option. Make sure that you select the same transfer option that you used when you exported the license.
Note If you have misplaced the transfer code or transfer file, return to the source computer that had the active license. Run the Portable License utility and export the license again. You must export the license to the same target computer that you originally selected.

Click Import.
The license is now imported to the target computer; you can now run your Autodesk product on this computer. If you want to return the license to the original computer, repeat the export and import procedures.

In the Portable License Utility window, click Close.

blads
2004-06-21, 04:34 AM
If you have both computers connected via a network or cat 5 cable; when using the "portable license utility" use the transfer file check box and send the file to your "shared documents" folder, I've found to be the easiest way of tranfering your license across. It's all done in a few seconds... ;-)

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-21, 02:50 PM
You can have Revit installed on your desktop and laptop without having to transfer your license. From the Revit license agreement:

3.1.2 Additional Installation. Except with regard to Educational Institutional, Student and Evaluation Versions only, You may Install and Access a second copy of the Software on the hard disk of a second Computer owned by You or under Your control provided that:

(i) the original and second copies are used only by the same person;

(ii) the second copy is Installed and Accessed only on either (a) with respect to Network Versions, a redundant server that makes the Software available for use only when Your primary server on which the active Software copy is Installed becomes inoperable, or (b) a notebook computer or other non-server computer away from Your usual work location for the purpose of enabling You to perform work while away from Your usual work location;

(iii) only one of the Software copies is Accessed at any one time; and

(iv) both copies of the Software are Installed and Accessed exclusively with the copy protection device (if any) supplied with the Software.

blads
2004-06-22, 07:34 AM
You can have Revit installed on your desktop and laptop without having to transfer your license. From the Revit license agreement:

Wes that maybe true for you Canadians but l just recieved this response from our Australian Revit Support:
"The licensing terms of Revit 5.0/5.1 allowed this scenario using the Primary and Secondary License arrangement. Under the licensing agreement for Revit 5.1L/6.0/6.1 users must use the Portable License Utility to transfer the license between machines. Under the current licensing terms in the Australian market, the only legal way to have two licenses running concurrently (or activated on two machines at the same time, even if not running at the same time) is to purchase two licenses."

PeterJ
2004-06-22, 08:12 AM
If you have both computers connected via a network or cat 5 cable; when using the "portable license utility" use the transfer file check box and send the file to your "shared documents" folder, I've found to be the easiest way of tranfering your license across. It's all done in a few seconds... ;-)
Or just email it to your home emaiul address if that is where you are going to be using the second installation.

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-22, 02:54 PM
Wes that maybe true for you Canadians but l just recieved this response from our Australian Revit Support:
"The licensing terms of Revit 5.0/5.1 allowed this scenario using the Primary and Secondary License arrangement. Under the licensing agreement for Revit 5.1L/6.0/6.1 users must use the Portable License Utility to transfer the license between machines. Under the current licensing terms in the Australian market, the only legal way to have two licenses running concurrently (or activated on two machines at the same time, even if not running at the same time) is to purchase two licenses."I don't understand why you folks don't get the same deal. Or maybe I do, I mean: heck -- what did Vizzini have to say about Australia? But I better be careful... one of you might post some iocane powder... :lol:

beegee
2004-06-22, 10:47 PM
I don't understand why you folks don't get the same deal. Or maybe I do, I mean: heck -- what did Vizzini have to say about Australia? But I better be careful... one of you might post some iocane powder... :lol:
As everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So, I can clearly not choose the licensing terms in front of you.