PDA

View Full Version : Area X Cost per Sqft

nsinha73
2006-10-17, 10:24 AM
I am trying to put in some formulas to Calc. the inital cost of flatwork. Eg. Cost per SqFt is $150.00 and Area of Flatwork is say 6500 sqft. I can't find any tutorial on how to go about this. Little light on this will be helpful
Thanks

beegee
2006-10-17, 10:40 AM
You must convert one of the fields in the calculated value to the same units as the other - ie either divide the Area by 1 sqft or multiply the Cost by 1 sqft.

I am trying to put in some formulas to Calc. the inital cost of flatwork. Eg. Cost per SqFt is $150.00 and Area of Flatwork is say 6500 sqft. I can't find any tutorial on how to go about this. Little light on this will be helpful
Thanks

roy.70844
2006-10-17, 11:51 AM
Just to add some basics...
When you are adding fields to the schedule, click on the calculated value button to add the field , then fill out the dialog box as per beegee's post. ( I guess you knew that bit :-) )
Also the formula is case sensitive.
I also like to use brackets to clarify the formula eg. (Area / 1) * CostSqF

Roy.

Just in case you are just starting out....

LRaiz
2006-10-17, 12:45 PM
When you assign a numeric value to CostPerSF parameter Revit understands nothing about this parameter meaning. It could be cost per square foot, square meter, linear foot, or cost per object instance, etc. On the other hand you don't know how Revit computes the area internally. Is it in square meters or square feet? The fact that your project uses imperial units tells you nothing about internal area units. Revit can format the output in various units but does not tell you what units are used internally. So you need to think of the problem in different terms. Since you know that your cost is per square foot then you need to compute how many times a square foot goes into Area and then multiply result by CostPerSF.

Thus you write the formula
Cost = (Area / 1SF) * CostPerSF

steveoyer
2006-10-23, 12:20 AM
everytime i try that formula I get the error message "improper use if boolean expressions"

i must be doing something wrong but i swear i am showing the formula exactly as you are.

any help would be appreciated

thats

steve

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-10-23, 01:09 AM
Any chance you have a hyphen in one of your parameter names?

roy.70844
2006-10-23, 01:01 PM
Any chance you have a hyphen in one of your parameter names?

Good point, this would then be interpreted as a minus....
So check for this or any other math character (* / - ) etc

Could you get a screen shot of your fields so we can take a peek.

Roy

steveoyer
2006-10-24, 05:54 PM
no ( - )

but i created a new feild and that one worked, i still dont know why. i am guessing its a units thing, but i sure cant find it.

thanks for the help.

steve

cphubb
2006-10-24, 09:10 PM
We usually ignore the units and change the display in the schedule. Using Square foot to calculate occupants and such, i you drop the SF in the display field it will appear as a straight number.