PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Families

bill.92885
2006-10-17, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have a good reference for info on this subject. I've been trying to customize a double hung window by adding a simple muntin pattern. My problem is that if I create the muntins in the 36" x 48" type I can't get them to resize themselves automatically when I change to another type, 36" x 60" etc.. Any help would be appreciated.

dsw98
2006-10-17, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have a good reference for info on this subject. I've been trying to customize a double hung window by adding a simple muntin pattern. My problem is that if I create the muntins in the 36" x 48" type I can't get them to resize themselves automatically when I change to another type, 36" x 60" etc.. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had this same problem and gave up. If you do a search you'll find what you're looking for, but it was pretty invovled. The way I do it now is to just create each size of window as it's own family. That's the quick easy way. Some muntins will resize with the window, but if you have an odd shapped pattern they won't.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2006-10-17, 07:52 PM
I could be wrong, but wouldnt this just be a matter of constraining the ends of the muntins to the extents of the window?

bill.92885
2006-10-17, 08:05 PM
-Thanks Devin, but I'm determined to figure this out. When I do I'll send you a copy.

-Chad, that's true for the verticals, but it's the horizontal muntin that's giving me the problem. I can't get it to equally separate the window.

christo4robin
2006-10-17, 08:13 PM
Quick answer is that the long term solution is nested families. Do an advanced search on my user name and you'll find somewhere a "Multifunction Window" that I created awhile ago - has muntins and visibility controls to make it fixed, awning, or casement. You'll have to do some reverse engineering and post searching (for nested families) to figure it out completely.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-17, 08:51 PM
I could be wrong, but wouldnt this just be a matter of constraining the ends of the muntins to the extents of the window?

What i find that is if you use reference lines and attach the model to those lines you will get better results. if you just constrain extusions to other extrusions, i find that there are some errors. if you have a common reference plane (that might designate the inside edge of the window frame) you can constrain to that and the family will flex accordingly.

I have used the nested family approach and it works great aswell. i think that nested is the way to go in the long run, but sometimes, if i have a one off type that if copied around an existing building, i will just build them in the window family (not nested).

Justin

dsw98
2006-10-17, 08:53 PM
-Thanks Devin, but I'm determined to figure this out. When I do I'll send you a copy.

-Chad, that's true for the verticals, but it's the horizontal muntin that's giving me the problem. I can't get it to equally separate the window.

I know there was someone on here about a year ago the had a muntin family he nested into a window family. But he had like a 2 page write up on how to make it work, but I could never get it to work when I flexed my window. And I use so many different types of muntin patterns that it didn't really matter anyway. But if you do figure it out that would be great to see how you did it. Good luck.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2006-10-17, 08:55 PM
Thats kind of what I was thinking - if you put a reference plane at the extents of where the window / or muntin edge is and constrain it to that. The first window family I just made has 2 horizontal divisions in it and they seem to adjust accordingly when the window changes width. I am kind of new to the family creation, so maybe I am missing something here.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-17, 09:16 PM
could you post your file?

Justin

PaperStreet SoapCO
2006-10-17, 09:22 PM
Here's a link to it:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=48733

sbrown
2006-10-17, 09:24 PM
I've had this same problem and gave up. If you do a search you'll find what you're looking for, but it was pretty invovled. The way I do it now is to just create each size of window as it's own family. That's the quick easy way. Some muntins will resize with the window, but if you have an odd shapped pattern they won't.

You have to be kidding. Learn the family editor, its a little challenging at first but the benefits are huge. There are great tutuorials under the help menu. If you do all of those you should have a good Idea how to proceed.

roy.70844
2006-10-24, 12:41 PM
You have to be kidding. Learn the family editor, its a little challenging at first but the benefits are huge. There are great tutuorials under the help menu. If you do all of those you should have a good Idea how to proceed.

I have to agree! Break it down into small steps and then build on the complexity.
Remember there are only 4 modelling tools after all! Solids and voids are created using them. Get your head around reference planes and how the are controlled by parameters and how geometry 'sticks' to them. Most of all... test or 'flex' your model frequently.

Roy

dbaldacchino
2006-10-24, 01:49 PM
The most important lesson to learn to become proficient in the family editor is the following:

Sketch your family using reference planes. If you have objects that need rotated, add a reference line. Then add dimensions with parameters to flex to any shape/size you want. THEN add geometry and align/lock to these references.

Of course, by doing the above, you can also nest other families and constrain them to these reference planes/lines, and connect their parameters to the host family. As you become more proficient, you'll start understanding what's important to Revit and how to predict how something will flex (by turning on automatic sketch dimensions.....take a look at the link below).

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/04/automatic-sketch-dimensions.html

You won't become an expert in an hour, but once you understand the above basics, I would say you'd be more than 50% proficient. Then it's up to your creativity to come up with solutions!

The Sweg
2006-10-25, 10:50 AM
I agree with the above advice. I use nested muntins in my window families, and I can put in several 'Styles' of muntins, assign them to a 'family parameter' and change the style in a few clicks.

The same goes for window shutters which I also have nested in my window family. I can change all the shutters on my houses from 'Panel' style to 'Louvered' style with a couple clicks. It takes a bit to set it up, but well worth it in the end.

In the end, I have one DH window family, that will adjust to whatever situation I need.