PDA

View Full Version : Glass Material Transparancy in Elevation

ford347
2006-10-17, 10:35 PM
I threw a curtain panel in a master bathroom to create my framed shower glass and door assembly and the curtain panel is showing as a solid in my interior elevation. The curtain panel material is 'glass', which is what I'm using in a lot of families etc., transparency at 75, tried at 100 also, no diff.

I don't have a lot of experience with curtain panels. How do I get the curtain panel to be transparent in my interior elevation?

Josh

Adam Mac
2006-10-17, 10:55 PM
Hi ford -

as far as i'm aware you can't have transparency in glass when using
"2D" elevations. The work-around is to orientate a 3D view to the Internal Elevation you created (F8 key) which should then show your glass as having transparency.

HTH

Adam

greg.mcdowell
2006-10-17, 10:55 PM
You can't unless you actually use a 3D view that's set to a 2D view... but you can use the Hidden Line tool to "see" through materials.

Adam Mac
2006-10-17, 10:56 PM
Sorry Josh - just noticed your "real" name!!

sbrown
2006-10-17, 11:48 PM
YOu could also just turn off the curtain panels in that view.

ford347
2006-10-18, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys!! I'll use the 3d method if I have to...but what did you mean with
but you can use the Hidden Line tool to "see" through materials. my view is set to hidden lines. Did you mean wireframe?

Sorry Josh - just noticed your "real" name!! It's cool man, people call me that too!

You could also turn the curtain panels off in that view too! That's a good one. I'll have to do a little drafing since I had a door panel in there, but that could definitly work. THanks.

luigi
2006-10-18, 12:26 AM
Just in case nobody will mention it to you....if the 3d elevation seems not to be a good option for you, due to missing annotations, grids, etc....you can take the 3d elevation and place it on top of the regular elevation on a sheet...if in the same scale it will align perfectly....then, almost like maGIC, ALL THE ANNOTATIOns/2d detail info will mysterously appear on top of the 3d objects of your 3d elevation.....I use this technique often successfully...Hope you do too..

robert.manna
2006-10-18, 02:35 AM
but what did you mean with my view is set to hidden lines.
He was referring to the linework tool that has a button that looks like an old fountain pen, and can be found in the "tools" toolbar typically located accros the top of your Revit window. This tools lets you override the line style/type & visibility of any object's geometry to make "stuff" visible in views where it would the "stuff" would otherwise not be visible. So in the case of seeing through your shower door, turn off or hide the curtain panels, then click on the object's edges that you want to see in the elevation with the linework tool (when activated the linework tool will allow you to select what linestyle you want overide the object to). Once finished, make the panels visible again. The linework tool is also very handy for making "stuff" such as soffits or floor edges visible in plan views or whne proving difficult making "stuff" that is beyond visible, such as foundation footings that are under a slab.

HTH,
-R

ford347
2007-04-09, 08:57 PM
Just now getting around to this thread again. Thanks for all of your comments!!

Off the subject a little. Have any of you used the curtain panels with mullions to create shower glass and doors? I'm referring to the residential type. I didn't know if this was something that would best made in a family or by using the curtain wall.

It would seem that if I had the right mullino, the curtain wall would work best, since this type of application could vary so often.

If so, does anyone have a good mullion used in such application? As I said before, I haven't used the tool much, except to do very simple store-fronts. I'd like to learn more.

Thanks.
Josh

Matt Brennan
2007-04-09, 09:39 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Revit Architecture 2008 will have this functionality. I haven't tried it yet since it hasn't come by courier but when it does, I will try it out and see.

ford347
2007-04-09, 09:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Revit Architecture 2008 will have this functionality.
Are you referring to the transparency issue?

Matt Brennan
2007-04-09, 10:09 PM
YES! There has been a lot of improvements with graphic override features and I believe these new feature will solve your problem that you are currently having. Again I could be wrong but when I read through the beta notes, I thought I read something on this.

I guess we will have to wait a few days before trying it out. Revit Architecture 2008 is being couriered at the moment so therefore it should be here shortly.

Max Lloyd
2007-04-10, 08:08 AM
Not sure whether 2008 will help (I haven't been involved with the beta testing)

However, Roberts and Luigi's methods will work, but are seriously long winded! (sorry guys....;) )

To resolve the issue of transparency, instead of switching off your curtain wall in the visibility settings and mucking around with linework, or orienting 3d views etc etc....

What I would do is go to edit the curtain wall family, select the glass within the family, go to its visibility settings and select it to appear in 3d and plan, but not in the elevations.

Simple!

This will work for regular windows and doors too of course. You can even add some detail lines to your glass panel to represent 'glass' in elevation....skies the limit!

(in the attached image, I have only changed the glass in the left panel to not appear in elevation, and within that panel I have added some symbolic lines to represent glass (make sure you select the visibility of these to not appear in 3d, plan, left/right))

Hope this helps!

Max.

luigi
2007-04-11, 09:38 PM
That's ok Max....If the solution is to not have panels show up in elevation, then your solution is the best...I like the fact that my glass has a percentage of transparency, rather than just invisible...so i like the 2 elevations....3d and 2d overlaid on each other....

:)

Not sure whether 2008 will help (I haven't been involved with the beta testing)

However, Roberts and Luigi's methods will work, but are seriously long winded! (sorry guys....;) )

To resolve the issue of transparency, instead of switching off your curtain wall in the visibility settings and mucking around with linework, or orienting 3d views etc etc....

What I would do is go to edit the curtain wall family, select the glass within the family, go to its visibility settings and select it to appear in 3d and plan, but not in the elevations.

Simple!

This will work for regular windows and doors too of course. You can even add some detail lines to your glass panel to represent 'glass' in elevation....skies the limit!

(in the attached image, I have only changed the glass in the left panel to not appear in elevation, and within that panel I have added some symbolic lines to represent glass (make sure you select the visibility of these to not appear in 3d, plan, left/right))

Hope this helps!

Max.

Max Lloyd
2007-04-11, 09:43 PM
Hi Luigi.

Good point about the transparancy. It would be nice to not have to have any 'work arounds' for this and simply have some sort of view dependant variable to adjust the transparency of glass in elevation as sometimes I would prefer it to be totally opaque, others slightly transparent.

Something for the wishlist perhaps?

Regards,

Max