PDA

View Full Version : Copying grid configuration on all floors

ykang
2006-10-18, 05:22 PM
We have garage level 1 & 2 (Podium Project). I started organizing bubble location on garage 1 but it seems like even if I change my bubble location of garage lvl 1, garage lvl 2 doesn't get affected.(same for other levels) Do I have to redo what I did on lvl 1 on all the other levels?

Is there any way you can change bubble location once and have that reflect on all levels?
Right now, all the other lvl's bubble location is at default so it's overlapping each other. :(

aaronrumple
2006-10-18, 05:29 PM
...are you refering to the 2d and 3d extents of the grid lines?

Sounds like you need to ajust the 3d extents of the grid and then apply that to other views....

ykang
2006-10-18, 05:31 PM
hmmmm. I just pressed the grid command and started drafting..there's 2d and 3d setting?

ykang
2006-10-18, 05:33 PM
Ah, I see what you are saying. Right now it's at 3d but still bubble location does not stack...:(

ykang
2006-10-18, 05:34 PM
AHA!!!!!!!! I got an idea. If I turn all my grids to 2D and copy to different levels, I guess that might be the solution. Let me try that!!!

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-10-18, 05:51 PM
If I turn all my grids to 2D and copy to different levels, I guess that might be the solution. Let me try that!!!NOOOO! :shock:

The 2D Aaron is referring to does not make your grid lines 2D , 'drafted' elements.

Gridlines and levels are objects and will appear in the same location throughout your project whether in plan or section or elevation.
Grids and levels have a 2D/3D toggle which allows you to control how they behave. If 2D is set then their extents are controlled on a view specific basis. If 3D is set then changes made in one view will affect any other view that is parallel.

I would suggest you take a quick look at the help file under Grids and then click on the Datum Extents and visibility link to get an overview of how this works.

ykang
2006-10-18, 10:28 PM
ai....:( so I guess there's no other way than to re-adjust those bubbles on ea. lvl. I wish they don't default to straight lines. :(

Where would you use 2D grid lines? What's it for?

Scott D Davis
2006-10-18, 10:51 PM
check "Scope boxes" you can draw a scope box, and then assign the scope box to the view and the grids. Then each view will be the same...adjusting the scope box on one level adjusts the grid bubbles on all levels.

ykang
2006-10-19, 07:19 PM
I guess I confused a lot of people. What I was trying to do is to copy "grid handles" on ea. floor so that I do not have to adjust them.

Because my bubbles are overlapping ea. other on most of the cases(1:30 scale), I had to adjust 100's of grid handles.

Tried scope box but it's not really meant for what I want to do and does not work.

Tried converting 3D to 2D but does not work either.

So, I ended up adjusting ea. grid handles on all freaking floor manually! :D

Maybe the best way would have been linking a cad file and make it a group or family and insert them on ea. floor. Would have saved 2 days. :(

Imagine adjusting "grib handels" on 8 floors with grid lines A~ZZ and 1, 1.1,2,2.1,2.2 ~ 100. 1 mistake you gotta re-number all those because it won't change automatically and won't let you have same number temporarily.

Paul Andersen
2006-10-19, 09:14 PM
Adjust all of your grids to be as you wish in one plan view. Once this is complete select all of the grids in your view. On the options bar select the Propagate Extents button. In the dialog that opens check the plan views you wish to apply the grid extents to and hit OK.

Scott D Davis
2006-10-20, 04:31 AM
I guess I confused a lot of people. What I was trying to do is to copy "grid handles" on ea. floor so that I do not have to adjust them.
Ok, i'm still confused? Grid Handles?

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-20, 01:11 PM
I think he means how you can jog the grid lines near the bubbles when the bubbles are overlapping. He wants to adjust all the bubbles to the sides so they all fit, and then copy the setup to different sheets. Im all for it too, lol...

Paul Andersen
2006-10-20, 02:22 PM
I think he means how you can jog the grid lines near the bubbles when the bubbles are overlapping. He wants to adjust all the bubbles to the sides so they all fit, and then copy the setup to different sheets. Im all for it too, lol...
Unless I'm missing something (which is highly probable) isn't this what the propagate extents button is for? It works for this sort of thing in Revit Structure.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-20, 02:48 PM
Might be, and i just didnt know about it. I sure am glad to have found out about it though, because yeah... Making new floor plans SUCKS the long way, LOL...