PDA

View Full Version : Room Tag Issue

The Sweg
2006-10-19, 11:16 AM
I know tags have been discussed at length here before, but a search didn't show any situations close to mine.

Here's the lowdown:
-I have rooms that are tagged and scheduled properly in my area plan for the second floor of my residential project. However, on my regular 'Second Floor Plan' the tags for three of the rooms show up as '?' marks. The rooms are still there, and have their same properties, but three of the tags in this view aren't working. When I click on "Explain Error" , it says something about the tag being outside of the room and I can use a leader or move the tag into the room (which it already is). There's a button on the bottom of the error dialogue box that says "Move into Room", which, when I press it, all my rooms light up blue, and I cannot place a tag anywhere! I've tried erasing the room, recreating it and re-tagging it, to no avail. Mind you, three existing tags on the same level are working just fine.
Anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

aggockel50321
2006-10-19, 11:56 AM
Try going to menu Tools / Review Warnings and see if you have any overlapping walls or other errors.

The Sweg
2006-10-19, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Unfortunately, the warnings provided little help with it's computer-geek cryptic verbiage and all. I straightened up as many as I could, but this did little to help. The ones I thought would help only said, "Room tag is outside of its Room." <Sarcasm On> Gee, ya think? It would be nice if it told me how to fix it in a way that actually worked! Its only suggestion, "Enable Leader or move Room Tag within its Room." are both virtual, and physical impossibilities. Of course, it was kind enough to tell me which room tags were the ones not working, since I was having difficulties figuring that out what with all the "?" marks in place of my room tags. <Sarcasm Off>

I'm guessing it's a bug at this point. Think I'll send it off to support.

Thanks, again.

lev.lipkin
2006-10-19, 01:40 PM
Here more explanation.

User can tag room, then move either tag or room (directly or by moving walls) into different space. Such situation is confusing: visual impression of space of the tag departs from actual space counted.

Revit would complain 'Room tag is outside of its Room'. Pick the tag and enable leader in option bar. Leader will point to the actual space of the room, so drawing is not confusing any more. Or you can move tag in the space of the room, which also resolves confusion.

Sure, Revit messages provide explanation for cases when the problem is real, so they make sense only in such cases. If you do not see difference between spaces of room and tag additional investigation is needed.

If tag seems to be apparently in the room, it might be that plan view does not show all room bounding elements. Visibility could be set not to show some elements, or cut plan of the view might not correspond to room computation height.

Pick Room tool and move room (i.e. cursor) to the position of the tag. Does same space pre-highlights as the problematic room's space? If spaces are different, most likely some room-bounding elements are not visible.

You can pick button 'Show Room bounding Elements' in option bar when Room tool is on (pick Room tool first in Design Bar). Dialog box will be posted which would list 2 sets of room-bounding elements: those which are visible in a view and those which are not visible in a view. Investigate second group, if room tag is not in the same space.
If this does not help, please send model to Support.

The Sweg
2006-10-19, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, Lev. Interesting enough, I created another space on this same level with just four walls, placed a room inside (automatically tagging on placement) and the tag turned into a "?". It's just a small 6' x 4' room, no doors, nothing, just four walls.

I tried all your other suggestions, which I appreciate, and didn't have any luck. That's why I'm sending it off to support.

Thanks, again.

Mike Sealander
2006-10-19, 04:28 PM
I think you might have a three-d problem. Make sure the room's 3d attributes jive with the plan view depth parameters. I just had this problem with a room. Rooms in 9.1 have volume with user-defined height parameters.

The Sweg
2006-10-19, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm still on version 9. Would that still apply?

The Sweg
2006-10-19, 07:36 PM
Hey, everybody,
I've been working with support on this and in the process, discovered what was causing my issues.
Plan regions. Yes, that's right. Without going into the whole tedious account, I deleted 3 plan regions and everything showed up properly. The tags and rooms were nowhere near the plan regions, however, for whatever reason, they were affecting the tags. I was able to put one, large, funky-shaped region in instead of three, and everything works and displays properly.

Hope this helps anyone else having issues like this.
thanks for the replies.

Scott D Davis
2006-10-20, 04:39 AM
I had the same issue not too long ago...version 9.0

The Sweg
2006-10-20, 10:18 AM
Scott Davis--I had the same issue not too long ago...version 9.0I know we've received our disk, but our IT guy has been working in the field lately, and it hasn't been a priority to upgrade to 9.1.

<Pouting on>
You know, I thought the term 'Power User' meant something, but without Administative permissions to load or unload software, it's just a fancy, bogus term to keep us office rats feeling good about ourselves. I've been duped.:Oops:
<Pouting off>

dhamlin
2007-05-12, 10:05 PM
I also am having this problem, as we have a portion of a level that is 7 1/2' below the rest of the level and I've tried deleting and redrawing the plan region, but each time the room tags disappear. This is still happening in Revit Arch 2008, any suggestions?