PDA

View Full Version : Site information- include in building model or import/link?

tboyle
2004-06-21, 02:58 PM
We are designing our 1st new building using Revit 6.1, and we would like your advice as to the best practice to incorporate the site plan. Do you recommend that we include all the site information in the building model? Are there advantages to keeping the site plan separate from the building model, and importing/linking the site information instead?

Thanks for your assistance.

sbrown
2004-06-21, 04:20 PM
Make a sep workset for the site info so it can easily be turned off and on as needed. Generally I make it off by default. I typically use consultants dwgs for our site backgrounds and create the topo for design purposes. If needed I will block out the applicable portion of the site plan(dwg) and import/explode that into revit and change the lines to site-thin, med, heavy. and edit as required. Then place revit parking stalls, etc.

SCShell
2004-06-22, 02:25 PM
Hi there,

As I do my own Site Plans and Development Plans, I don't import anything except the Survey. On larger projects, I do use Civil & Hydro consultants; however, I only import things I really need for early on design work, like topo, then delete them to reduce file size.

For normal, small projects, I import the Survey into Revit; however, I don't explode it. That way, I can simply turn it off in the Visibility Settings (the last tab after model and annotations).

Once it is imported, I usually turn off certain layers within Revit in the Visiblity Setting window, such as patterns, fills, title blocks etc.

I then created a Site Plan, showing it in the Existing phase. I trace (model) all of the major elements and dimensions such as curbs, topo and surfaces, sidewalks, existing structures, trees etc. This way, those items are now 'modeled' in Revit and I can then demolish them for Site Demo Plans, and show some items to remain as existing.

Once that is done, that existing Site Plan is the background to start the final Site Plan in the New Construction Phase, shown as "show complete", where I can demo and add all my new elements. This also is nice because it helps you in the future with your 3d and rendered views later because you actually have your topo and surfaces modelled already.

It is a bit more work, but worth it in my opinion.
(Oh, once done, I delete the survey to reduce file size and I also create a drawing background for my Landscape/Irrigation and other consultants by simply duplicating and renaming the New Site Plan and sending it to them as a separate item.)

Hope this helps!
Steve Shell

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-22, 03:00 PM
I would have the site model in its own workset in the same file as the building like Scott suggested.

If the site if being shared between several buildings, then leave it in its own file and import it into the building files. The site becomes the "world UCS" in this case, and the buildings get their coordinate systems from the site. In this case, you will import the buildings onto the site to place them where they need to be; then publish coordinates back to the buildings. You can delete the linked-in building models from the site model after you're done placing the buildings in the right location and orientation.

Phil Read
2004-06-22, 03:09 PM
As a best practice I would advocate linking building into the site - even if you have only one building for the site.

This allows you locate (as well as relocate move/rotate/elevate) the building with respect to the site as a single entity. The advantages are numerous and any disadvantages predictable/manageable.

All the best -

Phil

David Conant
2004-06-22, 05:04 PM
Other advantages of linking in the site include:
1. You can unload (not remove) the link to improve performance at times when the site is not needed.

2. You can show site elevations as true elevation and show building levels as relative to some abstract 0 such as level 1.

3. You can maintain both a project and a true north for use in setting view orientations.

To do 2 and 3, you will need to Acquire Coordinates from the linked site (Settings | Locations and Coordinates | Acquire coordinates). The orientation of its Y will become True North. The Y of your building will become Project North. The Site's elevations (z values) can be used for elevations in the building project by setting levels and spot elevations to use Shared as their elevation base. (in type properties of the level or spot elevation). To relocate a building you started designing at elevation 0, to elevation 1000, simply move the linked site down 1000 before acquiring the coordinates or use Relocate This Project after acquiring.

PeterJ
2004-06-22, 06:15 PM
How do you guys, David and Phil, handle using pads around/beneath the building in a linked file? How do you deal with grading, especially if it needs to be scheduled off?

Do you cheat and have a construction phase in the linked file too and make the pads/grading etc in there and then reload? This is the only downside I can see to having a separate site file.

Phil Read
2004-06-22, 09:30 PM
David makes some good points as well which really tie the processes into the tool.

Oh - yeah - the pad. It's in the site file. Preliminary grading...site file. Schedule cut/fill in the...site file. Bike rack...site file. Flag pole....site file. Building - link to site file.

The sheets related to the site file would also be in there.

-Phil

aggockel50321
2004-06-22, 09:35 PM
One of the great features of this software is that there are so many ways (and divergent opinions among users) on how to get from point A to point B.

David
2004-06-29, 03:08 AM
If you link the project into the site:

1. How do you construct a true grade line in elevations, or sections? Doesn't this method require that such elevations to include foreground site objects (topo, plants, etc) be created in the site project file? -- thus requiring switching back and forth between project files.
2. In a project where there are objects requiring close coordination to the site i.e. stairs landing on the site, conc. walks inches above topo, parkng slabs, etc.; there is also switching between project file.