PDA

View Full Version : Modeling MEP w/ Revit Building

petervanko
2006-10-19, 07:45 PM
Ok, so I am an architect working with MEP engineers who are back in the stone age (i.e. flat ACAD) and I would like to model our systems for basic understanding and coordination. Do I just create a new mass family or generic model, or could I somehow work smarter with actual ducts and pipes made from basic massing tools??? I don't need to schedule anything...

DanielleAnderson
2006-10-19, 07:53 PM
In the past, I have had to do this. I used a generic model family with a subcategory of pipes/ducts/whatever to build in. I used generic model instead of say, mechanical or plumbing, because for some reason, those categories do not cut in section, so things can get a bit messy. I would just create a sweep and profile the ductwork/pipe. It goes pretty fast and goes a long way to make your point of "you can't put that here". Hope that helps.

petervanko
2006-10-19, 08:06 PM
Just what I needed. Thanx!

Arnel Aguel
2006-10-20, 02:09 AM
I would just create a sweep and profile the ductwork/pipe. Hi Danielle we have done this method before but its a pain if your duct/pipe bend in xyz direction its difiicult to have a path of a sweep that goes in xyz direction. What we end up doing is just used model lines and draw it in 3d view much better than doing it in drafting view cause you have 3d snap but that of course also is view specific you can't change view but at least gets the job done.

Yeah of course we have revit systems but we don't need to buy that for such small part of our work do we?

DanielleAnderson
2006-10-20, 04:13 AM
Hi Danielle we have done this method before but its a pain if your duct/pipe bend in xyz direction its difiicult to have a path of a sweep that goes in xyz direction. What we end up doing is just used model lines and draw it in 3d view much better than doing it in drafting view cause you have 3d snap but that of course also is view specific you can't change view but at least gets the job done.

Yeah of course we have revit systems but we don't need to buy that for such small part of our work do we?

Hmm...good tip, I'll have to try that out.

But as for ductwork in the xyz direction - that's why we need a "loft" tool - and as I have said before, a loft tool would greatly improve the functionality of building sites in Revit.

Steve_Stafford
2006-10-20, 04:24 AM
Seems to me the new Generic Model Line Based family would work pretty well for this in a general way? Make straight segments and then place horizontal and vertical transition "elbows" at the ends of these. You could also create version that include the vertical or horizontal elbow at one end.

Not as elegant as Rsys but it would work. Since they are in the Generic model category you can use Join Geometry to get them to clean up where they overlap.