PDA

View Full Version : Cant Make Handrail Continuous

Isaacarus
2006-10-19, 09:16 PM
I am completely frustrated with the way railings and stairs are handled in this software. I am hoping that someone with a cooler head can help solve this.

Railing Problem

The problem is that I need to show a continuous handrail. No matter what I do it will not join properly. This is exactly the kind of stuff I wish we had a loft modeling tool for. I have tried all combinations of trim/weld I have tried extend rails to meet I have tried adding vertical/flat segments. I have tried overriding the type setting by using the railing joins tool, and I have tried altering the sketch lines slope by host, flat or sloped.

The image posted is the closest I have been able to get. It just will not meet cleanly.

Stair problem

I can't stand how the stairs in the software will not extend the stringer all the way to the floor structure. Additionally the graphics for the plan view and the sketch mode always display a different condition than what is actually modeled. The plan view shows where the stinger ends not where the back of the riser and tread are not even where the front of the riser is which is a critical dimension. This makes it a complete pain to lay stairs and landings out correctly. Am I an idiot? Is there a setting or series of options I have missed.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

olakahahola
2006-10-19, 10:55 PM
Hey i understand that railings are a pain in the but and they never cealn up perfectly as far as i have seen. I made a stair simallar to yours where the midlanding is angled. In the plan view the light yellow is where the railing is flat. This is how i found a way to solve some of the issues...where railings are comming into at angles and don't join propely. so i created flat railing segments to clean up the connection. I don't know if you can do any better than that. Let me know how your stairway goes.
this is a quick example..
ola
"RE....Vit...THINKS???"

Isaacarus
2006-10-20, 03:11 PM
Yours seems to work pretty well. I have also tried the flat segments but I cant seem to get the railing cuts to line up. Iwill keep trying, if anyone thinks of anything or has any other ideas on how to deal with this let me know.

Here is another image which showws part of the problem. It seems that Revit can not figure out where to make the cut so that the members have the same shape cut face in order to join cleanly. What is the deal with this. Is it having trouble with the profiles I am using? I really don't understand why it cant clean these connections properly.

Thanks