PDA

View Full Version : copy monitor problem

..shaner
2006-10-20, 01:09 PM
hi everyone, my structural dept has informed me that they cannot copy monitor my sloped roof slabs into their structural drawing, whwn they goto the copy monitor command they cannot highlight the roof slabs, is there anything ive done wrong to cause this or is there somthing they need to do in order to get it to copy in?

btw, she has been able to copy monitor all of my floor slabs, so i dont know why she can grab my roof.

thanks everyone

luigi
2006-10-20, 03:33 PM
hi everyone, my structural dept has informed me that they cannot copy monitor my sloped roof slabs into their structural drawing, whwn they goto the copy monitor command they cannot highlight the roof slabs, is there anything ive done wrong to cause this or is there somthing they need to do in order to get it to copy in?

btw, she has been able to copy monitor all of my floor slabs, so i dont know why she can grab my roof.

thanks everyone
Hi, if you go to the "options" inside your "Copy/Monitor" tool...you will see the objects that are allowed to be copied...roofs aren't one of them.

The only choices are Levels, Grids, Columns, Walls, Floors

greg.mcdowell
2006-10-20, 03:46 PM
We do non-residential construction and use Floor for the structural portion of our roofs since they "grow" down and Roofs for the insulation and topping since they "grow" up. Seems to work okay.

..shaner
2006-10-24, 06:28 PM
Hi, if you go to the "options" inside your "Copy/Monitor" tool...you will see the objects that are allowed to be copied...roofs aren't one of them.

The only choices are Levels, Grids, Columns, Walls, Floors

so ive got a hollowcore roof, that that has insulation and membrane on it, its also slopeing, so its complex and my structural dept need it in their model, how do we accomplish this?

luigi
2006-10-25, 01:18 AM
so ive got a hollowcore roof, that that has insulation and membrane on it, its also slopeing, so its complex and my structural dept need it in their model, how do we accomplish this?
If they have it linked, they do have it in their drawing...the only nuissance is that they need the architectural model visible in all their drawings, and in each view they need to make sure the visibility only shows the architectural objects you want to see (roofs, etc.)

The copy/monitor allows one to make an element of a linked file not visible, because it is already visible, but something that the engineers are able to work with....

..shaner
2006-10-25, 03:34 PM
If they have it linked, they do have it in their drawing...the only nuissance is that they need the architectural model visible in all their drawings, and in each view they need to make sure the visibility only shows the architectural objects you want to see (roofs, etc.)

The copy/monitor allows one to make an element of a linked file not visible, because it is already visible, but something that the engineers are able to work with....

ok, not im confused.. we modeled the roof, we need too.. and its in out file, structural also needs to see the precast part of the roof in their drawing, what is the best way to accomplish this?

greg.mcdowell
2006-10-25, 04:27 PM
You'll need to model the "roof" as a "floor"... I know you don't want to hear that but I think it's the only way... not that it makes much sense.

luigi
2006-10-25, 05:17 PM
ok, not im confused.. we modeled the roof, we need too.. and its in out file, structural also needs to see the precast part of the roof in their drawing, what is the best way to accomplish this?First of all, the Copy/Monitor is not a tool to be able to see parts of a linked project....the command allows you to have a part of the linked file be in your project, physically, not part of the link...so that is why there is a copy of the part...not the part itself.

when a project is linked (i.e. the structural drawing into the architectural) the whole project is visible....in the architectural one can decide to "unload" the structural file, then the structural file is not visible at all in the architectural project. The copy/monitor tool allows you to have certain parts (grids, walls, floors, levels, columns only) be truly part of the main file (in this example the architectural) so as an example, the structural project linked in the arch. has columns 8x31...when linked, the architectural will show the w8x31 as part of the link. The architect cannot select it and modify it, since it's part of the link...but if he copy/monitors it...the architect is able to select the copy of the linked w8x31 and move it, modify it, etc. it won't effect the structural...

Short answer here
.............................||
.............................||
.............................\/

Now, in your situation, the linked structural project has a roof. This roof is always part of your file, even when linked in the archectural (or vice versa). If the settings of the archiectural view is set up to see roofs (and the roof of the linked file as well, that is if the view settings are set to custom for the linked file)....the roof will be visible. The architect won't be able to "Copy/Monitor" it, but it is visible, as long as the architect has it "loaded" in the architectural...if the architect has the structural file "unloaded" then nothing from the linked file will be visible, not roofs, not columns, not beams....only the "copies" from the Copy/Monitor.....that is if the architect "unloads" the link....

Does it makes sense?

If the architect has, and must keep the link "unloaded", then what Greg mentioned is correct...you need to convert the roof to floor. Then the architect can Copy/Monitor the floor, and it will be part of his architectural, so when he "unloads" the structural, the floor he copied will remain visible....

Is it any clearer?

..shaner
2006-10-26, 12:02 PM
i appreciate your patience with helping me on this, i guess were just having a bit of a miscommunication. In this situation i have a building modeled (architectural) concrete walls, concrete HC floors, and concrete HC roof.

The walls have insulation, brick, gypsum board, etc w/ a CONCRETE CORE
- for this, the structural engineer just drew over my walls with her walls that were concrete core ONLY, just what she wanted to see.

The floors ive modled only show the HC Precast, She copy/monitored them into her project. and now she has all of my floors in here model

... ok, so now she has a model with all the concrete walls w/ openings, and floors w/ openings, both that i have drawn

NOW here is my problem

I have modeled the roof. in the ARCHITECTURAL model. Its HC Precast w/ insulation and a membrane. the HC plans do all sorts of slopes and ive attached my walls to the underside of them.

NOW, my structural engineer needs to get these roofs into her project so that she can detail it structurally. show it on plans and elevations etc. and she will also need to include it in the anylitical model.

so what ive got from you so far is that she CANNOT, copy/monitor the roofs into her project (REVIT STRUCTURE doesnt support this) so.. you say i might be able to change my roofs to floors? so far i havnt been able to acomplish this. but if you could provide instructuctions that would be great. if this dosnt work.. will she be able to open both architectural and structural models in the same instance of Revit and do a copy and paste of my roof into the project? (im doubting this will work)

anyways, i hope this clears up my problem, thanks for your patience and for helping me with this problem .. this has been stressful because we are trying to get this project out for tender and architecturally we are 98% complete (its a 5 storey retirement condo) and strucutrally we are about 95% complete - just missing the roof and a few other small things!

thanks again i hope you can help me out here

luigi
2006-10-26, 07:46 PM
Ok, if she has to actually use your roof, then there is no way. If to recreate the roof to be a floor is problematic, and it just might be, then what she can do, is open your archtiectural project in her revit structure. select the roof, then paste to current in her structural...this will work, as long as both files (arch and struct) are opened in the same session of revit (building or structural)

BTW, she is able to see your roof and have it in her drawings, it's just that she can't modify it...so if your roof is good, she can just detail around your roof to get the final look she needs...but if she needs an analytical view of it, then it is better to do what I described above....

Take care, and I wish you the best,

i appreciate your patience with helping me on this, i guess were just having a bit of a miscommunication. In this situation i have a building modeled (architectural) concrete walls, concrete HC floors, and concrete HC roof.

The walls have insulation, brick, gypsum board, etc w/ a CONCRETE CORE
- for this, the structural engineer just drew over my walls with her walls that were concrete core ONLY, just what she wanted to see.

The floors ive modled only show the HC Precast, She copy/monitored them into her project. and now she has all of my floors in here model

... ok, so now she has a model with all the concrete walls w/ openings, and floors w/ openings, both that i have drawn

NOW here is my problem

I have modeled the roof. in the ARCHITECTURAL model. Its HC Precast w/ insulation and a membrane. the HC plans do all sorts of slopes and ive attached my walls to the underside of them.

NOW, my structural engineer needs to get these roofs into her project so that she can detail it structurally. show it on plans and elevations etc. and she will also need to include it in the anylitical model.

so what ive got from you so far is that she CANNOT, copy/monitor the roofs into her project (REVIT STRUCTURE doesnt support this) so.. you say i might be able to change my roofs to floors? so far i havnt been able to acomplish this. but if you could provide instructuctions that would be great. if this dosnt work.. will she be able to open both architectural and structural models in the same instance of Revit and do a copy and paste of my roof into the project? (im doubting this will work)

anyways, i hope this clears up my problem, thanks for your patience and for helping me with this problem .. this has been stressful because we are trying to get this project out for tender and architecturally we are 98% complete (its a 5 storey retirement condo) and strucutrally we are about 95% complete - just missing the roof and a few other small things!

thanks again i hope you can help me out here