PDA

View Full Version : Placing Text on sheet views

Henry D
2003-06-16, 07:53 PM
I am placing key notes on elevations views which are laid out on a sheet. So I am doing a lot of selecting, copying and moving around of text notes which are in "paper space". The sheet has many viewport boxes which keep getting in my way when I am selecting text notes - I have to keep being careful that I am not selecting the viewport box along with the text. Is there any way to lock the viewport boxes so I can only select text?

Thanks

beegee
2003-06-16, 09:23 PM
I am placing key notes on elevations views which are laid out on a sheet. So I am doing a lot of selecting, copying and moving around of text notes which are in "paper space". The sheet has many viewport boxes which keep getting in my way when I am selecting text notes - I have to keep being careful that I am not selecting the viewport box along with the text. Is there any way to lock the viewport boxes so I can only select text?

Thanks

No, you cannot lock the viewports. If working on the sheet views is difficult, I suggest you place the keynotes in the views themselves. You can temporarily turn on the crop boundaries to define the view extent within which to place the text.

beegee

aaronrumple
2003-06-17, 01:35 AM
I agree. Notes and text should be in the view if it related directly to that view or detail. Revit already has a interstitial space between the model and sheet where notes and dimensions exist. Since they don't suffer from the problems of text and dimensions in models space like AutoCAD, there is no reason to separate them from the view.

View Graphics can take care of any refinements...

Henry D
2003-06-17, 03:26 AM
The way I had been doing my drawings in AutoCAD is using Keynotes with a legend on the sheet. So for instance, for Elevations I could set up all my Elevations in Model space and key the elevations to one legend. Then I could put the whole thing on a sheet layout in paper space. It was fast because legend and drawing were together and I could drag and tag.
It sounds like I have to figure another way in Revit.

beegee
2003-06-17, 05:49 AM
The way I had been doing my drawings in AutoCAD is using Keynotes with a legend on the sheet. So for instance, for Elevations I could set up all my Elevations in Model space and key the elevations to one legend. Then I could put the whole thing on a sheet layout in paper space. It was fast because legend and drawing were together and I could drag and tag.
It sounds like I have to figure another way in Revit.

Henry,

I think you'll find Revit's keynote system is efficient for this task, (once you get used to the interface. ) The keynotes can still be scheduled to provide a legend on the sheet, ( depending how verbose you get... mine get quite lengthy, :oops: so I usually have them on a separate sheet ) Try the tutorial first, although it doesn't go into much detail, then just jump in. I think you'll like it.

beegee.

Henry D
2003-06-17, 11:32 AM
Beegee: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this.

ajayholland
2003-06-17, 02:37 PM
I think you'll find Revit's keynote system is efficient for this task, (once you get used to the interface. )
I've only used keynotes for basic material and finish call-outs. I'm not using a CSI or spec system, just 1 through X.

I created families for exterior elevations, interiors, toilet room notes, etc. The note text is contained in the "description" field. For "type" I use a short name or keyword that will show up as a tool tip and in the command prompt area. I drag copies all over the view (or sheet) and change the types as I go.

I don't concern myself with the numbering until the majority of the notes are placed. When I create the note block I can globally number (or re-number) the notes on the fly. Duplicate numbers show up as blanks.

-AJH

Henry D
2003-06-18, 12:56 AM
AJ,

That sounds like a real good system. Are all the notes and the note block format transferable to another project, so you can just keep using the same standard notes from project to project?

Thanks

ajayholland
2003-06-18, 02:32 AM
After doing the first one on the fly, I went back and created separate families for each type, with a dozen or so of the most common notes. It's just a starting point, and of course the descriptions will change from project to project.

"Transfer Project Standards" does not include the category for these objects.

-AJH

John K.
2003-06-27, 02:03 PM
Damn good idea. Thanks for putting this one up -- I will give it a try today.

jk

david@stearnsarchitecture
2004-10-27, 06:52 PM
After doing the first one on the fly, I went back and created separate families for each type, with a dozen or so of the most common notes. It's just a starting point, and of course the descriptions will change from project to project.

"Transfer Project Standards" does not include the category for these objects.

-AJH

Hi Jay,

I don't think you need to make families to transfer between projects. For color/material coding tags, I have been able to copy and paste the symbol into a drafting view in the destination project, and it shows up in the Note Block there with all the info in its fields intact. I am not sure if this applies to your keynoting situation, but I think it's the same.