PDA

View Full Version : tappered batts

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-20, 05:49 PM
Is there any way to vary the height of a batt insulation detail? i want a 12" batt that tappers down to 6".

Thanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-10-20, 06:42 PM
I don't know of any tool to achieve this except segmenting little pieces of batt and varying their width. You could just make a jpg of a 12" piece of batt, go to Photoshop and pull in two sides a quarter of the distance inwards (thus getting one side to be 6"), save the jpg and then insert in your project. Not a parametric way, but gets you the representation you want.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-20, 07:24 PM
I guess that would work.

One more for the wish list!

Justin

Steve Jager
2006-10-20, 09:43 PM
I guess it's because they do not sell tapered batt insulation that we can't create it.
Makes sense.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-20, 10:00 PM
you can compress a batt somewhat (i know you loose r value when you compress).

What i am showing is a roof with r40 batts, but we have to match up to existing scissor trusses so the batts get much smaller at the ends. graphically it looks much better to have a continuous tappering batt, then a 12" then 10" then 8".

Justin

Melarch
2006-10-22, 05:37 PM
You can always used detailed lines to create a drafted geometry effect in any 2D view of the model as well as Drafted views.

robert.manna
2006-10-22, 07:20 PM
Another example, where if when writing formulas there were a variable for what place in the array an object is, you could tell it to resize (or just about anything mathmatical) accordingly per its location in the array.

If I keep saying the samething for multiple problems, maybe the factory will take note, :).
-R

funkman
2006-10-22, 10:27 PM
You can always used detailed lines to create a drafted geometry effect in any 2D view of the model as well as Drafted views.....and to make it easy, simply array them.

tomnewsom
2006-10-23, 07:23 AM
We just don't use the insulation line tool at all, ever. We stick with a honeycomb hatch pattern for insulation and it's completely legible.

Andre Baros
2006-10-23, 02:18 PM
Ditto on the honeycomb, plus it has several big advantages, like it's always there because it's part of your wall, floor, roof, objects so you never need to draft it in, and it's even more generic than batts, so you can use it for any type of insulation, batt, cellulose, icynene, expanded poly, etc. without the contractor pricing batt's and then asking for an extra...

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-23, 02:36 PM
Some jobs i use a variety of insulation types, and i need a different representation for each.

I have not tried the honeycomb insulation yet. i might look into it.

Justin

gbrowne
2006-10-23, 04:00 PM
The hatch idea is good, but I admit I like the way the batts look.. that squiggly line, reminds me of the rotring pen days..