PDA

View Full Version : BIM implementation seminar in LA

jbeaman
2006-10-21, 02:45 PM
Hi,
I have a question for someone who was at the LACAD BIM implementation seminar in LA last Thursday, towards the end, the presenter, Philip(?) was creating masses(?) by using a shape that would consist of one level and then added a formula that would twist the shape as it stacked it. Could someone please tell me how he was doing that?

Thanks alot.

john

Brian Myers
2006-10-21, 03:24 PM
...was creating masses(?) by using a shape that would consist of one level and then added a formula that would twist the shape as it stacked it.?

Perhaps he was doing a solid blend? It starts with one shape and blends that shape with the next shape. So put two rectangles above each other and rotated and it will create a twisting structure to blend these two shapes together. Same with placing different shapes above each other.

Here is an interesting article on Masses and yes, a Blend is included in it.
http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2006/issue3-revit.html

jbeaman
2006-10-21, 04:00 PM
No, he was doing a stack of some kind because he would start with a simple straight up stack using the shape. You could see the lines between the shapes as they stacked. Then he would make some changes as to angle and taper and rotation and he would get all sorts of weird new shapes.

Scott D Davis
2006-10-21, 04:49 PM
its a family with a long list of formulas to control it. Each instance of the family changes shape depending on what level its assigned to. If you send an email to LA CAD, they are going to put together a package for those that were there, including handouts and some of the files Phil Read was using so you can reverse engineer them.

I have posted some of them here before...I will search and edit this thread with a link if i find them.

jbeaman
2006-10-21, 06:35 PM
Thanks Scott!