PDA

View Full Version : Student - 4 short questions relating to using AutoCAD in the workspace

t.devi
2006-10-23, 04:51 PM
I'm a student in Interior Design and would love to be able to ask some questions about using AutoCAD in the workspace. I have an assignment due tomorrow. Anyone willing to participate in four short questions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

rkmcswain
2006-10-23, 05:00 PM
Ask away.......

madcadder
2006-10-23, 05:11 PM
someone's here 24/7

stusic
2006-10-23, 05:37 PM
I'm here! Ask away!

t.devi
2006-10-23, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies...I"m glad I came here for the help. I would love to here from anyone who uses AutoCad in their workplace. Here are the questions...you can send me your answers in a private message. Thanks in advance for your help!!

1. Name, location, and profession

2. When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)

3. The types of standardization you use

4. Advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to your practice.

Regards,
Devi Taranath

Maverick91
2006-10-23, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the replies...I"m glad I came here for the help. I would love to here from anyone who uses AutoCad in their workplace. Here are the questions...you can send me your answers in a private message. Thanks in advance for your help!!

1. Name, location, and professionDoug Draper, Arlington, Texas, CAD Technician (for lack of a better term)

2. When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)We use CAD for graphics such as preliminary and conceptual designs for automated tram alignemnts, bus routes, architectural plans, and some miscelaneous exhibits or figures for reports. The most detailed drawings that we'll ever do are called "reference drawings", which we'll have a project owner issue to bidders for the project in order for them to draw up their own construction drawings.

We also use CAD to analyize drawings by others for dimensions and other project data.

I've also had the experience of drawing up 3D elements for use in simple animations using 3d Studio Max.

3. The types of standardization you useStandards are pretty loose. I do have some linewieghts, dimstyle, and text styles that I like to use. Often, though, the standards of our client will dictate.

4. Advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to your practice. There are times when the accuracy and precision of CAD can get in the way. There are times when a simple hand-sketch might do just as effeciently. One other issue is compatablility with others outside the company.

Regards,
Devi Taranath

jaberwok
2006-10-23, 09:56 PM
This thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=43875&page=1&pp=10) might also help.

t.devi
2006-10-23, 10:01 PM
Thanks to those who replied. This will really help a lot!

Regards,
Devi

t.devi
2006-10-23, 10:20 PM
This thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=43875&page=1&pp=10) might also help.

Thanks...useful info. Probably a student taking the same class in a previous semester!

Mike.Perry
2006-10-24, 08:26 AM
Hi Devi

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120) forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager