PDA

View Full Version : Family Parameters...

sleimgruber06
2006-10-23, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately I am not very skilled when it comes to families and their parameters.
What I have here is some reference lines for a void extrusion that I am trying to get to become parametric. I want to be able to just hit 'edit' and change the appropriate dimension and move on from there but I keep receiving the error 'can't changed dimension value.' Hopefully some will be able to help me accomplish this.

TIA,

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-10-23, 09:52 PM
Once the parameter is assigned you need to change the value from the properties dialogue for the family (the family types button if you're still in the family editor)

sleimgruber06
2006-10-23, 10:05 PM
Once the parameter is assigned you need to change the value from the properties dialogue for the family (the family types button if you're still in the family editor)

Well, yes all the values are entered into family types dialogue box, but Im trying to get the void extrusion to flex when I change the dimensions... I might have to possiblly start it over huh? Ill post the family and let you have a look...

aaronrumple
2006-10-23, 10:17 PM
There could be several issues. The first would be that the values you are typing to use result in an invalid sketch shape for the void. This would happen if the values for D1, D2 force the "V" of the void to intersect the back of the void.

Andre Baros
2006-10-23, 10:21 PM
I can't tell exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but a good rule of thumb for adjustable families is to start by making the reference planes flex the way you want, then trace them with the necessary lines, shapes, solids and voids. Sorry I can't be more specific.

sleimgruber06
2006-10-23, 10:50 PM
I just got an update from my supervisor because I was kind of confused as well. He wants me to drive the voids shape using dimension without reference planes or ref. lines. Meaning that the parametric dimension will be applied to the 'sketch' and not the model. Does that help anyone understand a little better?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-10-23, 11:02 PM
Go analog Seth ;) .

I can't tell from the family what it is you want it to do?
Give us a little hand drawn sketch of what you're trying to accomplish and we can probably help

sleimgruber06
2006-10-23, 11:12 PM
Go analog Seth ;) .

I can't tell from the family what it is you want it to do?
Give us a little hand drawn sketch of what you're trying to accomplish and we can probably help

Ha! Hand-drawn...too prehistoric for me! :mrgreen:

I actually just figured out what was wrong... you ready for this? It was actually right in the first place, I just doubted my :rolleyes: *cough* masterlike skills of Revit! :cool:

Thanks for all the help guys!