PDA

View Full Version : Serious Error

CGUSE
2006-10-23, 10:02 PM
I have a revit project that is not in worksets but is set up with a central file and users checkout elements. When I open up the central file and save it to my c drive everything is working fine. When I do to work on an item such as a floor plan I ge the following error,
"A serious error has occured. It is strongly recommended that you use save as to save your work into a new file before continueing". At that point I can either continue without saving or do a save as. Either choice continues to cause me problems and I keep getting the same error message. Any ideas.

sleimgruber06
2006-10-23, 10:13 PM
I have a revit project that is not in worksets but is set up with a central file and users checkout elements. When I open up the central file and save it to my c drive everything is working fine. When I do to work on an item such as a floor plan I ge the following error,
"A serious error has occured. It is strongly recommended that you use save as to save your work into a new file before continueing". At that point I can either continue without saving or do a save as. Either choice continues to cause me problems and I keep getting the same error message. Any ideas.

Something is terribly wrong... I'll ask around the office to see if anyone else experiences this error...

michael.deorsey
2006-10-24, 12:42 PM
So you can save a local file, but you can not work on any elements in the file with out the "Serious Error?" Correct?

How much RAM do you have on the machine? and How big is your Model File?

whittendesigns
2006-10-24, 12:57 PM
I get that occasionally. Maybe once a month. Last time it happened was when I was trying to add a dimesnion line to one of the Kohler tubs supplied in the downloads. Tried it again, got the same answer. At least it lets you save your work before it crashes.

patricks
2006-10-24, 02:08 PM
wait a sec, how can there be a central file and users check out elements if the file is not using worksets?

dbaldacchino
2006-10-24, 02:08 PM
What is terribly wrong (unless I'm missing something) is the follwoing statement:

I have a revit project that is not in worksets but is set up with a central file and users checkout elements.
To have a central file, you HAVE to have worksets. By default, you'll have 2 user-defined worksets and the rest of the views, families etc. are placed on worksets that you cannot chnage (except checking them in/out). So I guess you mean that you're not setting up additional worksets for your project that users check-out in their entirety? That workflow isn't as popular as it used to be, now that you can borrow individual elements.

Elmo
2006-10-24, 02:14 PM
Send your file to Autodesk support. They will be able to find the reason why it keeps crashing.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-24, 02:23 PM
We get this error occasionally in a couple of our larger models. Just recently, it kept happening when i went tyo put a line based family (molding) on a wall. Something about the wall wasnt right, or "Revit didnt like it." Once i isolated it to that wall (i could use the line based family everywhere else, but it would generate the "A serious error..." msg on this one wall) i simply had to delete the wall and recreate it, and it was fine.

Not a popular solution when youre midway through CD's, but what can you do...

mcloer
2006-10-24, 03:08 PM
Try to run an audit on the central file. It's worth a shot.

patricks
2006-10-25, 03:02 PM
I also had a problem on our last large school project, which was done in 8.1. I had a few architectural column families that would crash the file if I put a dimension line onto the center reference planes of the column. To fix it I had to delete the column and place it again.