PDA

View Full Version : 3D Autocad Objects wont section in Revit file

Martin P
2006-10-25, 11:56 AM
We have kitchens designed and drawn by a third party, the supplied me with DXF files to insert in my models.

when I take a section through them the appear "elevated" rather than sectioned. ie the section does not work in the imprted 3D autocad object.

Is there a way to make them appear correctly?

EDIT -

ah ok.. Make it a family..... - but now it only displays the parts of the kitchen cut in plan and nothing below? ie I can show either the high level units, or the low level units - but not both, any ideas?

I can understand why I cant just import straight into revit, and have it display correctly in the first place though? Is there any reason you would want 3D Autocad objects to display as elevation rather than section in a section?

Elmo
2006-10-25, 02:01 PM
Other than redrawing them as Revit families I'm sure if there is a way to correct this.

sbrown
2006-10-25, 02:51 PM
I think you need to bring them into a generic model family and then they will cut through.

dpasa
2006-10-25, 03:51 PM
I think you need to bring them into a generic model family and then they will cut through.

I think that's true...

patricks
2006-10-25, 03:54 PM
If it's casework or millwork, I would do it as a casework family, which will cut in section. Anything else I would do as generic models. Mechanical and Specialty Equipment do not cut in section for some reason. You can create Specialty Equipment or whatever other subcategory you want under Generic Models to control visibility.

Martin P
2006-10-26, 11:58 AM
Thanks for replies :)

My sections now look great!