PDA

View Full Version : Shared parameter files questions...

FWSchreck
2006-10-25, 10:00 PM
Hello:

Our firm designs healthcare, corrections and government projects, and it would be useful if we could use a generic parameters file for all projects, then add a second file that is targeted to the building type.

A few questions regarding shared parameters files....

1) Should an office standardize on one Shared Parameter file for all projects, or create a new one for each project?

2) Can a Revit project access more than one shared parameters file?

If anyone would like to contribute some best practices regarding shared parameters to this thread, I'd appreciate it!

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-25, 10:12 PM
I have some limited knowledge on shared parameters, but what i found is that the shared parameter file is only used when creating new shared parameters. if you where to create a shared parameter for a door in a door family, then load that door into your project, the parameters go with the doors. you dont have to load the shared parameter file with the project.

So from what i have found is that the shared parameter is just a place to store the information so that in the future if you make a new parameter, you can see the ones that are already named so there is no overlap.

you could create a new file for each job, but i think this would only be useful if you had a requirement to have new and different parameters for every job.

Justin

davidcobi
2006-10-25, 10:43 PM
1. You could create different shared parameter files for each project type (healthcare, corrections and government projects)

2. You can add parameters from Shared A to a project... load Shared B and add parameters from Shared B to your project. So yes Revit can access more than one shared parameter file.

aaronrumple
2006-10-25, 10:46 PM
I have some limited knowledge on shared parameters, but what i found is that the shared parameter file is only used when creating new shared parameters. if you where to create a shared parameter for a door in a door family, then load that door into your project, the parameters go with the doors. you dont have to load the shared parameter file with the project.

So from what i have found is that the shared parameter is just a place to store the information so that in the future if you make a new parameter, you can see the ones that are already named so there is no overlap.

you could create a new file for each job, but i think this would only be useful if you had a requirement to have new and different parameters for every job.

JustinYou are right on the money. Further, although the file says "Don't mess with me" - you can. You can merge several files into one at a later date if you wish.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-25, 10:58 PM
You are right on the money. Further, although the file says "Don't mess with me" - you can. You can merge several files into one at a later date if you wish.

thanks.

Good to know when you are on the right track and have not made some wrong assumptions.

Justin