PDA

View Full Version : refrence plane drafting

gordolake
2006-10-26, 02:46 AM
Hi All,

Why wont some drafting tools work with reference planes, eg. Trim, snap midpoint etc.
Doesn't matter if 2D or 3D planes.

Should I be using model / detail lines instead for construction references lines on odd geometric layouts.

(Very frustrating.)

TIA

Steve

robert.manna
2006-10-26, 02:55 AM
You are correct Ref planes do not work with the "drafting" tools, as reference planes aren't drafting elements.

Reference planes are graphical representations of infinite 2D planes. Evne though you can "control" the apparent extents of a reference plane it actually extends infinitely. You should continue to use reference planes to represent apparent alignments that are not actually represented by real geometry. We like to use reference planes in elevation to assure that sill and head heights align across a building.

HTH,
-R

gordolake
2006-10-26, 03:02 AM
Seems odd that if infinite u can snap to end point but not mid anyway just another revitilization.

luigi
2006-10-26, 03:40 AM
I guess you know the answer, since you aren't able to trim or snap midpoint, etc....Revit knows that it is a plane, so as a plane, there is no beginning point or end to the point...the visible part of the plane you see is only a representation of the plane...so there is no midpoint of the plane, no beginning and no end...so trims don't work...but you can trim an object to a reference plane (extend or trim), since you would be trimming the object to a plane...

Now if you were doing reference lines, then you are able to treat those as you would any other linear object (lines, walls, etc.)

So, although it seems as though you are drawing a line when you are doing a reference plane, you aren't really drawing a line.

If using reference planes are causing you to stumble in the easy task of laying out a complicated room, I would suggest creating a default wall that is maybe an inch wide, and layout the space with this wall...which will read like a line...you just then need to be careful whether you are drawing the wall by inside, outside or center....if they won't be exchanged into the correct wall...but just used as a guideline...then I would suggest drawing them as center, then when you align objects, or draw them you can just make sure you are using the center of the wall, not the edge...

and by the way, using lines, either detail or model, isn't a bad way of doing it....you most likely need to delete them later, or create a special construction line that you can easily identify and turn off in all the drawings you don't want to see it...

Take care,

Hi All,

Why wont some drafting tools work with reference planes, eg. Trim, snap midpoint etc.
Doesn't matter if 2D or 3D planes.

Should I be using model / detail lines instead for construction references lines on odd geometric layouts.

(Very frustrating.)

TIA

Steve