PDA

View Full Version : Column detail

Steve Jager
2006-10-26, 06:27 PM
When you create a column detail with a wide flange embedded in a cmu-brick wall, how do you get rid of the masonry around the column? say having a min. of 2" clear around the column?

robert.manna
2006-10-26, 06:58 PM
In the past I've split the wall vertically, then changed the type of the small portion @ the column such that is doesn't have the masonry (or the masory is thinner, the the splits are set @ the correct distance from the column extents.

HTH,
-R

jcoe
2006-10-26, 07:04 PM
If it only needs to be seen in a detail view, I would just use a solid filled region with a white background essentially "whiping out" what you do not want to see.

robert.manna
2006-10-26, 07:17 PM
the only issue I see with the wipe/out approach is that you then have to put a detail component in for your steel section too, on top of the wipe out. Plus some line work for the CMU where they'll cut it, or have a smaller block, and on top of that it won't look right in section & elevation. Whereas the approach I suggested avoids those issues.

But..... to each his own, do what you like and feel comfortable with.

-R

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-26, 07:55 PM
I like to try to build information into the families as much as i can. if a junior guy comes along and it requires that he adds a filled region to make it look correctly, the chances are is that they will either miss it, or not know about it. especially if this occurs thurought the building, and i have detailed it in one view, but it occurs in another.

I know this is an education issue, but if i can get it right the first time, it saves me errors that i need to catch later.

Justin

Steve Jager
2006-10-26, 07:59 PM
I am tempted to make a detail family showing a column (hopefully the right size) and a white area 2" from the column and maybe another one that shows fireproof insulation.