PDA

View Full Version : Revisions issues

ron.sanpedro
2006-10-26, 11:41 PM
I have a question about revisions in Revit. I know that revit will manage the tags and current revisions, but I worry about this scenario.

I make a revion in a certain area, call it revision 1, put the appropriate view on a sheet, print, etc. All is good.
Now later I make a second revision in the same area, and repeat the process. All still good.
Now someone comes back and wants verification of something in revision 1. I go to the revision 1 sheet, which is now showing revion 2, because revision 2 is current.

Also, I have run into issues with detail bubbles, etc. Yes I can copy with details, but it is not consitent.

What I really need is a view of a view, and the ability to turn a view into an image to freeeze that revision. And that is basically what I am doing. I export the appropriate view with clouds to a PNG, and dump the cropped PNG on an 8.5X11 sheet. Now I have an actual graphic history, with the model being the "current" revision only.

I am curious what others are doing with respect to revisions. Am I missing something in how Revit works and all this is wasted effort?

thanks,
Gordon

aaronrumple
2006-10-27, 12:48 AM
I have a question about revisions in Revit. I know that revit will manage the tags and current revisions, but I worry about this scenario.

I make a revion in a certain area, call it revision 1, put the appropriate view on a sheet, print, etc. All is good.
Now later I make a second revision in the same area, and repeat the process. All still good.
Now someone comes back and wants verification of something in revision 1. I go to the revision 1 sheet, which is now showing revion 2, because revision 2 is current.

Also, I have run into issues with detail bubbles, etc. Yes I can copy with details, but it is not consitent.

What I really need is a view of a view, and the ability to turn a view into an image to freeeze that revision. And that is basically what I am doing. I export the appropriate view with clouds to a PNG, and dump the cropped PNG on an 8.5X11 sheet. Now I have an actual graphic history, with the model being the "current" revision only.

I am curious what others are doing with respect to revisions. Am I missing something in how Revit works and all this is wasted effort?

thanks,
Gordon
Print to PDF for record copies.
The Revit model stays current. However it is archived at the end of significant phases.

tc3dcad60731
2006-10-27, 02:07 AM
Aaron is right, either print to pdf, print to dwf, or save-as. I recommend the dwf and/or pdf!

m.thomas
2006-10-27, 01:02 PM
When dwgs are officially issued we export to Autocad for distribution to consultants.
It is these Autocad files which provide a record of each revision.

Obviously I prefer to print directly from Revit when dwgs are issued. If I need more dwgs printed a day or so later I have to print from the Autocad file (which is a pain) as the chances are something has been modified in the revit file.

This is one of the instances where automatic co-ordination in a BIM is a pain, but much preferable to the alternative.

twiceroadsfool
2006-10-27, 01:03 PM
We also Plot to PDF, Archive the entire set (as PDF's) when anything goes out, and archive the Model itself for major revisions and/or changes.

ron.sanpedro
2006-10-27, 06:33 PM
Continued Revision questions.

Given a floor plan, with a callout in the area of the revision, when you copy the view for use in the 8.5X11 Revision sheet, you need to see the callout. But the callout is a copy, I get a new view, and the new callout points at the new view. This means my 8.5X11 revision sheet is NOT the snapshot of the submittal package that I expect. Again, my process has been to zoom in to the clouded area and Export Visible portion of current window to a PNG (yeah for PNG in 9.1!), then dump the PNG on my 8.5X11 Revision sheet. This is a pain, but it is the only way I have found to issue revisions on titleblocked A size sheets and have them be a faithful replica of the actual revision on the full size sheet. This seems like a HUGE hole in the way Revit handles revisions. I would love to be shown a better way, but until then this works, and I will pester the wishlist with requests for improvements ;)

So, any joy, or is this the only viable way to go?

Thanks,
Gordon

greg.mcdowell
2006-10-27, 06:53 PM
There was a discussion on this a while back. There were several solutions offered but my favorite was to print the revision to a PDF (though maybe a DWF would work too) and to "paste" that into a PDF version of your titleblock and use this as your record copy of the change... assuming you actually need a small scale version. With the increased use of electronic sets (whether in PDF or DWF) there is a notion that the way we handle changes might change too. Actually, the contractors we've been working with prefer the electronic version of the revised sheet that they can reprint rather than the small scale stuff they have to tape in manually. Food for thought.