PDA

View Full Version : Wall Width 4 in not 3.5 In.

jcronburg
2004-06-22, 06:06 PM
AUGI's:

ADT 2005 has standard stud walls in the Tool Pallette with 4" actual not 3 1/2' studs.

Why did they do that?

Thanks,

Jim cronburg

jcude70463
2004-06-22, 07:38 PM
Is there any way to Change the wall width to 3.5 inches instead of 4? This has been messing up my floor plans.

richard.binning
2004-06-22, 08:58 PM
AUGI's:

ADT 2005 has standard stud walls in the Tool Pallette with 4" actual not 3 1/2' studs.

Why did they do that?

Thanks,

Jim cronburg
Ahhh!, the old debate about nominal versus actual sizing. This could get ugly!

P.S. You can set the width yourself in the components.

dkoch
2004-06-22, 11:03 PM
I am not in front of ADT 2005 right now, but I would find it hard to believe that less content was provided for that than for ADT2004. The out-of-the-box default tool palettes may only include wall styles with 4" studs, but the wall style source drawings that ship with ADT include predefined imperial wall styles that have a multitude of stud sizes, including 3 1/2". You can access these through the Style Manager, or i-drop one or more tools from the Architectural Desktop Design Tool Catalog - Imperial onto an editable palette.

jcronburg
2004-06-23, 01:59 PM
David and Richard:

David: Thanks very much. But where do I find the Imperial file in ADT 2005? I've looked a bit with no luck. Why didn't they keep it the way it was in 2002 to do that? I've already created my own wall style with 3 1/2" walls, but I'm curious to find the file they've provided.

Richard: Yes ugly it is. Who in their right mind would draw a nominal wall width? Especially when everything else in ACAD is so accurate. I recall this discussion over a year ago but don't remember what was said on the 4" side of the issue. I do remember that some people dimension to wall faces and others (like our firm) dimension to centerlines. If you dimension to wall faces, I would think you would need the dimension to the face of the stud and that the stud width shown would definately have to be the accurate 3 1/2" for the carpenters to lay it out correctly. And dimensioning to centerlines does not require the wall width to be accurate but when laying out cabinetry, you do need it accurate. So what is the point of the 4" dimension????? Ahhhh, I know, they have a fervent hope that the full 4" stud will make a comeback!

Thanks,

Jim Cronburg

eric
2004-06-23, 02:39 PM
If you're new to the 2004/2005 environment, you need to check out the Tool Palettes, also how to drag new ones from the Content Browser. I counted 71 different stud wall styles alone OOTB in ADT2005's Imperial Design Tool Catalog.

HTH

jcronburg
2004-06-23, 08:16 PM
Eric:

Thanks.

The learning time is immense. So finding that the Content Browser will get to various styles took quite a while. Now I must study further to find out how to set up a template that will include what I want. I'll keep slogging though the Tutorials.

Jim Cronburg

dkoch
2004-06-24, 12:55 AM
Steel studs are available in 4" widths, and I would assume that those are what the 4" walls are modeling. My office generally uses 3 5/8" studs, however.

Here is where various things are located in ADT2004, perhaps the ADT2005 locations are similar [or sufficiently close by for you to find them]. This assumes default locations were accepted.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2004\R16.0\enu\Styles has two subdirectories, Imperial and Metric, that have the style source files within. I vaguely recall this may have moved under AEC Content in ADT2005, but I can not check that from here.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2004\R16.0\enu\Tool Catalogs has several subdirectories that contain the Design and Documentation catalogs, both Imperial and Metric versions. If this path also changed in ADT2005, you might try using Windows Explorer to search for the "Design - Imperial.atc" file.