PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Groups and Levels

jeff.95551
2006-10-30, 10:16 PM
We're doing a multifamily project with an attached garage, which means we have lots of levels. When we try to copy groups around - most commonly the unit plans - objects in the groups will suddenly decide they want to attach to a different level. Cabinets will jump up and attach to an intermediate garage level, and wall tops and bottoms will end up all over the place! Even if we copy a 4th floor unit plan, and we are copying in the 4th floor plan view, things move! Is there any way to constrain the objects in a group so that they don't try to think for themselves? Even when it looks right, often the group is a mess - all the walls in one case are attached to level 'garage 4i' but have a bottom offset of -1' -3/4". We didn't set that, Revit just decided it liked that better than Level 4 with 0" offset.

dbaldacchino
2006-10-30, 11:35 PM
Have you tried coying the elements and pasting aligned using the option "pick level graphics"? You'd have to do this in section or elevation and pick on your level. Or have you been pasting using the "select levels by name" option? These methods should both eliminate the problem you're having (or at least I hope so!).

sonya
2006-10-31, 06:48 AM
i've generally found that you shouldn't use model linework in groups.
In v9 the model linework in the group was jumping levels, but eg. plumbing family componenets were in the right spot.
If you need to eg. draw a 2D rectangle on the floor it will work most consistently if you draw it as an external family & bring that into you project file to be part of your group.
(add length/width parameters so you have a resizable rectangle useful for many rectangular shaped things) - this way it also gets a family / object style etc that lets you control its visiblity

Wes Macaulay
2006-10-31, 01:42 PM
Send the model into support, and if possible, use fewer levels. Too many levels in a project causes confusion and can cause all sorts of problems. Use offsets from levels for your wall and floor objects and see if that helps.

nancy.mcclure
2010-09-23, 07:57 PM
I've also found that if the group is intended to be copied to other Levels (as typical units usually are) it's best to model the partitions of that group to be associated to ONE Level, with a fixed height, rather than a Level at the base and a different Level at the top. When copying, use the Copy to Clipboard and Paste by Specifying Levels, NOT graphically in a vertical view. This seemed more successful at correctly reassigning objects in the group to the intended Level.

Also, be aware that later changes to Level elevations can cause quite a stir with your copied-up groups - the system will often duplicate groups with any exceptions applied into their own unique group (amending # behind the original name). Not traumatic, but increases the tracking responsibility further down the line.

michael.12445
2010-09-23, 08:23 PM
I just did a model of a multi-family project using groups for the apartment units, and I happened to make the groups the way nancy.mcclure suggested, with the walls at a fixed height from a base level but not attached to a level above. I didn't have any problem with objects showing up on the wrong level as I copied the groups from level to level. OTOH, I'm relatively new to Revit, so my groups only had walls, doors and a floor and some stairs in some of the two-level townhouse units. I didn't bother modeling any of the cabinets, plumbing fixtures, etc., figuring that could be added later.