PDA

View Full Version : sloping wall by face: create aligned window in place

studiodd
2006-10-31, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I have created a sloping wall by face. I am not able to add an in-place window, revit does not let me pick such a sloping wall to make the opening. I know I can make a family with an angle parameter, but is it not possible to to add in-place families to walls by face.

I have several sloping walls and have to insert curtain wall type of windows and regular windows.

Thanks,

Ivan

Scott D Davis
2006-10-31, 04:19 PM
Use skylights instead of windows for insertion in angled walls. They will conform to the angle of the wall.

studiodd
2006-11-01, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the tip about the skylight.

Since I am new to revit a have some trouble to find out what kind of 'modelling element' work with eachother.

Please find attached a 'modelling matrix' I made myself. Is there something like that available to revit users? Would make it a lot easier for starters like me to make decisions about how to model certain kinds of elements, since there are so many possibilities.

Some things in this matrix I find strange:
1. arced walls (regular en by face) can host regular openings, but when I want to create an in-place window I can't select them to host an in-place opening!
2. Modelling sloping walls is very restricted due to the fact that sloping walls by face can't host openings or in-place openings. The only way I can imagine to make holes in them is to use regular window families, or to make a window family that only contains an opening, and then sketch an in-place window. Wished it was possible to use in-place windows + openings in these cases. Or is there another trick?
3. Also, cut geometry doesn't work with sloping walls.

Thanks,

Ivan