PDA

View Full Version : View & Elevation Orientation

beegee
2003-06-18, 02:29 AM
I have one building set out at an acute angle to another. The inevitable happened and the setout has changed :shock: I want the small building to sit horizontally in the view, so I select the viewport and hit rotate, but the rotation gets hopelessly screwed - doesn't want to respond to the angle picked for some reason. I know it can be doen (cos I've done it before :oops: ) just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The second problem is the elevation marker is no longer parallel to the building. The elevations are placed on sheets, so I want to keep that marker, not put in new elevations. I cannot get the marker to set parallel to the walls. I'm sure if I could solve number 1 problem than number 2 would solve itself. ( ? )

< Rave on >While I'm on this thread, am I the only one who has MAJOR problems with the rotation tool ? I'm constanly moving it to where I want it, zooming in etc, back out.. oh , need to rotate again ... terific, the *#$!!@ things gone back to its original central position < Rave off >

Ahh , ..that feels better already.

beegee

beegee
2003-06-19, 12:19 AM
Managed to do it simply by trial and error.
The elevation tag doesnt snap to the horizontal for some reason.

Is it just me ? or should this be simple/easy ( and basically automatic ) ?

beegee

sbrown
2003-06-19, 03:25 PM
I feel your pain.

The new project north/true north rotate project tool. may have helped you, the elevations do snap when placed but once they are placed there is no good way to rotate them.

With multiple buildings on a single site the linked models is the way to go now that way all your buildings can be created "project north" then rotated to true north as required for siteplans.

The section tool also likes to get slightly off of square causing dimension problems and it is hard(impossible) to rotate back, I typ. copy all the detail/notes, and then create a brand new elevation or section and paste them into that, deleting the old once I'm done.

beegee
2003-06-20, 03:55 AM
I feel your pain.

The new project north/true north rotate project tool. may have helped you, the elevations do snap when placed but once they are placed there is no good way to rotate them.

With multiple buildings on a single site the linked models is the way to go now that way all your buildings can be created "project north" then rotated to true north as required for siteplans.

The section tool also likes to get slightly off of square causing dimension problems and it is hard(impossible) to rotate back, I typ. copy all the detail/notes, and then create a brand new elevation or section and paste them into that, deleting the old once I'm done.

Thanks Scott,

I found that even after the work I did yesterday, the building was orientated a whisker off orthogonal so dimensions didn't work.
I used rotate to true north to fix this , after fairly extesive clean up, it seems OK.

As you rightly point out, this only works for one building, so for multiple buildings, you would have to link.

beegee

funkman
2003-11-15, 05:48 AM
ARRGH.....why cant we align an elevation tag with a reference line like the section tag? Ugh, this is really frustrating. I now have to redo some of my elevations. My building grids and therefore my walls altered oh-so slightly, meaning that my elevation tags were a little out as well.

We must be able to re-orient these tags easier and with perfect accuracy.

sbrown
2003-11-17, 03:07 PM
funkman, just create a new elevation with a new tag, it will sync up to your wall, then open your old elevation and copy paste from it to the new one.

funkman
2003-11-17, 10:09 PM
thanks scott I already did that yesterday....the problem that I have with the inability to align annotation tags is that the linework has to be redone. This linework would be easier, simpler and quicker by employing this wishlist as I had mentioned at the end of this thread... http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1211

edit...to make it easier...

Perhaps it could be developed - the way i could see it happening is with the elevation handle tool in plan, have three or 4 additional reference handles that defines if a wall/roof etc is within a particular zone then apply specified pen widths to each zone.

afterall, buildings do have depth

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-17, 11:14 PM
Too little too late perhaps...but you can select the elevation symbol (square or circle, not the tip) and rotate it and the elevation will rotate accordingly. If you know the amount of rotation required (the difference between what it is and should be)...you select the tag, choose rotate, pick first point and type in the exact rotation value and you're done. Sorry, I must've missed this thread earlier.

funkman
2003-11-17, 11:55 PM
Steve, I did try this, but the difficulty is knowing the exact angle since you cant select the elevation tag to know the reference angle to be able to rotate it. Reference planes, by the look of it, dont allow the elevation tag to be aligned or rotated to it.

Thjis is contrary to the section tags that do allow this rotating ability such as you describe.

Perhaps this was forgotten or left off inadvertently in Revit. I can't understand why the section tag has the ability but not the elevation tag.

Anywhooooos.....thanks anyway

beegee
2003-11-18, 12:22 AM
Steve, I did try this, but the difficulty is knowing the exact angle since you cant select the elevation tag to know the reference angle to be able to rotate it. Reference planes, by the look of it, dont allow the elevation tag to be aligned or rotated to it.

Yep, thats how this thread got started in the first place ..... :)

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-18, 12:28 AM
I had a similar issue on a project that has wings at an arbitrary yet exact angle to one another...I assume the elevation mark was properly aligned at one point before the wall was changed? Or are you saying that the tag was wrong from the beginning and missed? In that instance I could see how you don't know what the difference is. Unfortunate if so...

funkman
2003-11-18, 01:16 AM
yes it was originally aligned to a wall which was not parallel to a site boundary (which is comprised of bastardised angles).

Now I am preparing the DA drawings. The design had changed somewhat....almost imperceptibly over the course of the design (yeh riiiite). Now the elevations could be oriented to either the front property boundary line or the front elevation wall. I have made a judgement call as to which orientation the building should be oriented on the sheet - so that the design looks like it has less impact on the adjoining properties.

So, I have had to re-orient the elevations to the new wall locations (this allows greater space between the building and the property boundary on 2D paper).

Anyway... a slight pain I know, but I hope we get the functionality of the tag in the next release.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-18, 02:18 AM
Sounds like you lost control of your project man! :twisted: Better luck next time and maybe the elevation tag you hope for will be there then too!

mschroeder
2007-03-20, 05:30 PM
Yep, thats how this thread got started in the first place ..... :)

Just checking to see if anyone has a new creative way around the fact that you can't rotate an existing elevation to perfectly align to anything in the model if you don't already know how much the elevation was rotated to begin with.

Is an elevation's rotation value accessible through the API?

peterjegan
2007-07-25, 10:25 PM
There is a way to rotate an existing elevation align to the model.

Pick the elevation tag (not the view arrow.) When you do, a "rotate" control displays. Click and drag this control around and it snaps to 90 degrees. If there is an angled wall nearby, the control will snap to 90 degrees AND perpendicular to the the angled wall.

drubinoff
2013-01-20, 07:52 PM
There is a way to rotate an existing elevation align to the model.

Pick the elevation tag (not the view arrow.) When you do, a "rotate" control displays. Click and drag this control around and it snaps to 90 degrees. If there is an angled wall nearby, the control will snap to 90 degrees AND perpendicular to the the angled wall.

This doesn't seem to work if the elevation symbol is already on a weird angle. I'm trying to rotate it slightly to align with something else and it won't get the angle correct.

irneb
2013-01-21, 12:30 PM
Yep, this is the major reason you should avoid drawing buildings non-perpendicular to project north. Use the true north to fix the rotation - NOT the project north. That way all your views tend to perpendicular to your building much more easily. If I have 2/more buildings at varying angles, I prefer making them into linked files which I can rotate much easier. Note it's actually easier to rotate the project as a whole than to try and adjust numerous view tags.

That said: So what I think peterjegan referred to was rotating slightly skew elevations to perpendicular of project north. Though it does work on a skew line / wall if it's sufficiently nearby the tag, e.g. here I've added a reference plane to align the elevation to:

DaveP
2013-01-21, 02:05 PM
Nothing like a ten year old thread!

Check out this thread (complete with PDF) by David Baldacchino
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?59475-Straightening-skewed-elevation-views