PDA

View Full Version : Phase glitch

tonyisenhoff
2006-10-31, 04:03 PM
Existing wall demo'd... Doors in wall also get demo'd because their host was demo'd. Ok so far...

If I come back and add another door into this wall during the existing phase (let's say I forgot to add it originally), the door does not follow the host and show demo'd.

If you then go to a view set to show the new construction phase (show previous & new), the door shows up floating in space.

Shouldn't the door follow the host regardless of when it is added?

ron.sanpedro
2006-10-31, 04:54 PM
Existing wall demo'd... Doors in wall also get demo'd because their host was demo'd. Ok so far...

If I come back and add another door into this wall during the existing phase (let's say I forgot to add it originally), the door does not follow the host and show demo'd.

If you then go to a view set to show the new construction phase (show previous & new), the door shows up floating in space.

I don't think the door is dynamically following the condition of the wall so much as when you demo the wall, the demo command also demos all the hosted object that are there. Not a "paramentric change engine" thing, just a "convenient aspect of the Demolish command" thing.

Best,
Gordon

aaronrumple
2006-10-31, 06:56 PM
Nope. What if you partially demo a wall? You may then keep the existing door (sure it would be pulled out and placed back in same place - but it could still be existing.)

ron.sanpedro
2006-10-31, 07:13 PM
Nope. What if you partially demo a wall? You may then keep the existing door (sure it would be pulled out and placed back in same place - but it could still be existing.)

Personally I would prefer to see that door show up as demo. From a pricing standpoint, there is a cost associated with "Demo and save for reuse" as apposed to "Existing". Even if it goes right back in the same location, there is a cost.
I would also like to have enough granular control to show...

Existing to remain.
Existing; remove, repaint and replace.
Remove and save for reuse. (reused in the same project if possible)
Demolish and recycle whole. (sent to a reusable building supply company to be purchase and reused by others)
Demolish and recycle material.
Those last two really belong in the specifications, but sometimes there are very specific components that you want to call out for recycling. Heavy timbers, etc.

Then again, I am one of those greeners ;)

Gordon

patricks
2006-10-31, 07:22 PM
I think that would be pretty difficult to show all those conditions graphically in one view.

If I were needing to show all those different conditions, I would probably set up several phases for each type of existing/demo type, and set up separate views, in which each view highlights only the parts that are to be removed and reused, only those parts that are to be demolished and recycled, etc. etc.

If not that, then I would just indicated with keynotes what is supposed to happen with the various removed parts.

As for that door that you inserted after demolishing the wall, can't you just change the phase in which the door is demolished? I'm sure it's still reporting Phase Demolished as None.

tonyisenhoff
2006-10-31, 07:54 PM
I think that would be pretty difficult to show all those conditions graphically in one view.

As for that door that you inserted after demolishing the wall, can't you just change the phase in which the door is demolished? I'm sure it's still reporting Phase Demolished as None.
Absolutely - you can change this... I just wasn't expecting it when I saw the door floating out in space.